Coordinating Mouse and Push while nudging notes...?

Discuss Push with other users.
PhunnkMunk

Coordinating Mouse and Push while nudging notes...?

Post by PhunnkMunk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 am

is there any way that I can select notes in a clip on computer screen with the mouse, and then correspondingly use the knobs on PUSH to nudge them?

as far as I currently know, the only way to nudge notes via the controller is pressing-and-holding down the corresponding note's pad in step mode, and then using the knob to nudge.

however, I'm a newbie and have only gone through the basics.

I'd be quite disappointed if this was the ONLY way to use the controller to nudge... so am wondering if there's just something I don't know yet, where I CAN indeed SELECT notes in a clip via MOUSE, which will then change the screen on Push to enable the nudge knob...?

TRBTBEI

Re: Coordinating Mouse and Push while nudging notes...?

Post by TRBTBEI » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:21 am

Unfortunately, you can't do that. You have to hold the pad of the note in order to nudge the note (or adjust velocity etc.).

Note editing is my main disappointment with Push 2. Unless you do super-basic stuff it is practically useless and you have to use your mouse to do the job.

NI Maschine offers vastly superior event editing. With Maschine, you can select notes and move them freely, transpose them etc. Have no idea why Ableton messed up such a basic feature.

PhunnkMunk

Post by PhunnkMunk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:58 am

Jeezus.

I switched over from Maschine, fully expecting such a feature would be a given. That was the main thing I REALLY liked about Maschine that had me waiting on switching over to Push.

Hope Ableton gets this updated SOON... :-/

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:04 am

From an organizational perspective, I too can see the reason for this, I like that about maschine too. Unfortunately not to be in Live.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Not impossible though. Its in the API, so it could be added to Push.
You could have an MFL device with those functions, unfortunately you'll have to see the changes on the computer screen. (Or control from a device that isn't Push so you can see the notes on the Push display.)

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:09 am

Just got a Push 2... Is it really not possible to transpose/nudge notes in a MIDI clip up/down by semitones or octaves from the controller? :o

If not, it just goes to show that extensive pre-sale research amounts to nothing when you run into such things within the first five minutes. :cry:

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Yeah, that's kinda weird that you can't do that, hopefully that functionality gets added ASAP!

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am

Mr D wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:58 pm
Yeah, that's kinda weird that you can't do that, hopefully that functionality gets added ASAP!
Thanks for responding. And yeah, weird. Unfortunately to me, it's also unacceptable and Push is being returned.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 am

Dude, give it a few more days, Push 2 is amazing, that can't possibly be a deal breaker!

PhunnkMunk

Post by PhunnkMunk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm

I agree with Mr. D.

As disappointing as it was to find this out, it’s definitely not THAT big of a deal in comparison with all the perks of Push.

Even though it’d be ideal to have the feature, I’ve found that the keyboard shortcuts for nudging end up working just as well for my workflow and am now doing fine...

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Mr D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 am
Dude, give it a few more days, Push 2 is amazing, that can't possibly be a deal breaker!
PhunnkMunk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm
I agree with Mr. D.

As disappointing as it was to find this out, it’s definitely not THAT big of a deal in comparison with all the perks of Push..
I agree that it is amazing in many ways and that this alone might not seem like a dealbreaker to most, but everyone works differently and I ran into this in my first five minutes playing with Push. That and a few other annoyances all found in the first session with it led to me my admittedly dramatic post. I will be returning this unit due to a couple of hardware defects, but am now wondering whether an replacement might be the best choice...
PhunnkMunk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 pm
Even though it’d be ideal to have the feature, I’ve found that the keyboard shortcuts for nudging end up working just as well for my workflow and am now doing fine...
Fair enough. Having to resort to keyboard shortcuts is no good for me though. Thankfully, I thought of a relatively quick and painless workaround using user mode and ClyphX (which can access this note pitch edit function), so holding USER and pressing up/down octave now does the trick.