Beginner question about outputs/panning

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Saxon0192

Beginner question about outputs/panning

Post by Saxon0192 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:26 am

Hi,

I'm using Kontakt with a sampled instrument, but I use many different tracks for the same instrument so that I can seperate the melodies that play simultaneously. Because of this I find that Ableton Live has a lot of trouble loading on Windows 10 as I've duplicated the instrument so many times across different tracks.

What I want to do is to only have to load the instrument once and use it across multiple tracks in order to save memory, but be able to pan the different tracks into different positions.

I've tried using the "Output Type/Output Channel" in order to do this but I find that the "Track Pan" option disappears. Is there a way I can create multiple outs for the same instrument and still pan each track?

Also is there a better way to change the stereo positions than using Track Pan? Please go easy as I'm learning this program still. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you

LoopStationZebra

Re: Beginner question about outputs/panning

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 pm

There's a decent way to do this, but things may start to sound wonky.....and there's a clean way to do this.

This method DOES NOT address your panning needs at all.... There's no way with MIDI track setup like this that I can think of...
Create a track that has your instrument, and set MIDI From to No Input. Then create 2 or 3 new MIDI tracks and set the MIDI From o your keyboard or whatever. MIDI To for each of these tracks should point to your original instrument track. Clips should only be recorded into the 2 or 3 new MIDI tracks you have created after the instrument track.

This method will work, but anytime you play some overlapping notes you may notice some wonky clipping/gating happening. It's best if your additional melodies are in different octaves or notes, but some of the success of this will be the instrument and patch you will be using.

The better, cleaner method is going to be similar to above, but create audio tracks and record into those clips. While you won't be able to record automation after the audio clips are created, this is the time honored method of saving CPU and getting great results. The panning capabilities are, of course, available in this method.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Saxon0192

Re: Beginner question about outputs/panning

Post by Saxon0192 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed to know. Definitely will be going for the second option.