Syncing DFAM with Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paulhood76

Syncing DFAM with Live 10

Post by paulhood76 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi,

I've been having real trouble getting my DFAM to sync properly with Live 10. I'm using an audio pulse from a square wave in simpler output through output 4 on my focusrite 2i4. The dfam starts and stops ok but when recording, I cannot get the DFAM bang on to the grid. I'm running live 10 on a windows 10 laptop, with 32Gb ram and i7 processor. Buffer size is 64 samples, using asio. I've tried a negative track delay on the dfam trigger channel but this doesn't solve it - putting in -300ms helps a bit but still doesn't solve it. Can anyone shed light on how I can resolve this please?

stringtapper

Re: Syncing DFAM with Live 10

Post by stringtapper » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Focusrite interfaces don’t have DC coupled outputs, to my knowledge, which is necessary in order to pass signals to Eurorack gear as CV.
Unsound Designer

paulhood76

Post by paulhood76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks for your response. Forgive me, I'm new to cv stuff, but if the DFAM is receiving the audio pulse from the focusrite audio out, triggering the DFAM and moving the sequencer on, it works? Or is there more to it? I just cant get the audio recorded in ableton on the grid? Thanks.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:13 pm

It’s still possible to send a signal but the signal the Eurorack gear will receive will not be the full range it’s expecting, which can affect performance depending on what you’re trying to do (1v/oct for instance would not work very well for sure).

Setting that issue (which could still be the problem) aside, if you have more than one output to spare you could try sending to the clock input and then another signal to the run input to start, which would start the DFAM’s sequencer and hopefully keep it in sync.

Also, what kind of cable are you using to get from the Focusrite to the Moog?
Unsound Designer

paulhood76

Post by paulhood76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Ah, right - now that's interesting. I was following a tutorial from you tube and the guy said to adjust the volume on the simpler to get it to work - initially the volume was too low, so the dfam wasn't being triggered. I adjusted it until it was but presumably, increasing the volume further, increases the voltage and could improve performance?

I'm currently using a mono cable, a single rca to 1/8" cable from output 4 on the focusrite 2i4.

You've given me a couple more things to try, which is very much appreciated.

paulhood76

Post by paulhood76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:31 pm

So I've solved this by switching monitor to off while recording - no idea why that makes a difference but recordings are now locked to the grid. Thanks for your input.

npawelczyk

Post by npawelczyk » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 am

I believe this has to do with Driver Error Compensation being disabled when Monitor is set to "off":

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sation-FAQ