Live 10.1

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Machinesworking

Re: Live 10.1

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 am

For some reason I didn't notice that we have automation shapes now! Cool stuff, missed that feature when in Live!

little what's new vid!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5UuK6T7R0

jpga

Post by jpga » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 am

I really hope the sampler get a facelift like simpler.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:56 pm

jpga wrote:I really hope the sampler get a facelift like simpler.
I hope it gets one like Wavetable!

Though we really need a hotkey to open/close those fullscreen views. It gets silly trying to hit those 3x3 pixel close buttons to get the session back!

bengtfalke

Post by bengtfalke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Still no comping..... 8O

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 pm

bengtfalke wrote:Still no comping..... 8O

Nope that said with 10.1, I have high hopes Comping might be a v11 release.

I wasn't expecting automation to get an overhaul in a minor release (as well with VST3). I was pleasantly surprised. The new sidechain feature on VST plug-ins too is probably the standout feature as now it is just about as easy to sidechain on a VST as with Ableton native plug-ins.

bengtfalke

Post by bengtfalke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Let's hope for comping in Live 11. That is the only issue for me for not using Live for all my work.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm

[jur] wrote:Hey Machinesworking,
Yeah, it might sound like I'm exaggerating, I reckon.
Still, personally, I can't stand the complexity of selectable tools in other DAWs and I think Live's really ahead in terms of the simplicity/efficiency ratio. One single pointer with context dependant tools, period. I love this so much!
Just implement cmd+E to work on midi notes and voilà!
:roll:

I do like Ableton's key command/context menu "toolless" approach to things but I guess it all comes down to different folks workflows. I used to be a more tools oriented person (like Studio One) but either way once you know the key commands can be effective. But probably some specific cases a cut tool might be more effective like if you needed to take a very long recording and divide it up many times (maybe a divide tool would even be more effective here though). For simple quick cuts, I find a key command like Ctrl+E can be faster than switching tool to scissors, cutting, then switching back. Some DAWs use tools better than others though and many have a "smart" tool that somewhat works in a more contextual manner.

cmd+E on midi notes would be a great idea as well.

silversurfer60

Post by silversurfer60 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Symplify envelope is great too.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
[jur] wrote:Hey Machinesworking,
Yeah, it might sound like I'm exaggerating, I reckon.
Still, personally, I can't stand the complexity of selectable tools in other DAWs and I think Live's really ahead in terms of the simplicity/efficiency ratio. One single pointer with context dependant tools, period. I love this so much!
Just implement cmd+E to work on midi notes and voilà!
:roll:

I do like Ableton's key command/context menu "toolless" approach to things but I guess it all comes down to different folks workflows. I used to be a more tools oriented person (like Studio One) but either way once you know the key commands can be effective. But probably some specific cases a cut tool might be more effective like if you needed to take a very long recording and divide it up many times (maybe a divide tool would even be more effective here though). For simple quick cuts, I find a key command like Ctrl+E can be faster than switching tool to scissors, cutting, then switching back. Some DAWs use tools better than others though and many have a "smart" tool that somewhat works in a more contextual manner.

cmd+E on midi notes would be a great idea as well.
Honestly it's funny to me how all this works, Ableton is set up to be very intuitive, but key commands instead of smart tools is not intuitive. To fight this, Ableton only has a few key commands.. It's like this for a lot of the interface, the trade off of it being intuitive is sometimes a compromise that doesn't work as well. Comparing the slicing ability in Ableton to Digital Performer; with Live you have Command E which does not offer quantized multiple point slicing, with DP you have a dedicated tool you can call up, it does quantized slicing, rather than selecting it and selecting back which is tedious in most cases you can hold the c key and it temporarily turns to scissors etc. To me a single letter command is preferable, and so are multiple choices.

None of this is the End of the World™ it's just interesting watching how various companies address these things, and noticing the strange relationships people and companies develop with topics like user experience etc. Keeping on topic with the update, the new shapes for modulation are interesting? comparing the way this is approached in DP it's two very different worlds. Right away it seems that in Live you're not 'drawing' the shape, you're applying it the size of the modulation is dependent on the selection size. Command d to makes copies etc. obviously not as quick as in DP where the pencil tool draws out multiple copies to whatever quantization setting you choose.
IMO DP wins the initial creation of the shape, but then Ableton added in this ability to mess with the initial shape with splines, very nice! One thing that interests me is this spline thing, right now it's only available initially then seems to go away after you move to some other function never to return. I'm going to attempt some more, but what would be absolutely fantastic is if you could use this spline function over the course of multiple copied shapes, so you could increase or decrease the intensity of a modulation over time quickly etc. 8)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:59 pm

I think the problem ableton may have had with the multi/tool is perhaps the idea of needing to have a toolbar.

Thats not really necessary though. Toolbars are rarely used other than as indicators of the current tool. If a key such as "C" changed the cursor to a razor (my preference!) then no toolbar is needed. The cursor is the indicator.
There would only really need to be 4 or 5 keys to flip cursor mode.

I'm sure ableton could then fumble this simple system by worrying about how beginners need excessive hand-holding ... and then creating an "auto tool selection system" which automatically swaps tools on you just when you dont want it to. I can see it all now. :lol:

JerichoHendrix

Post by JerichoHendrix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am

Beta is awesome. The only complaint is that I don't see a specified hotkey for viewing all tracks. Live 10 was just S but 10.1 S is to solo current track. Please tell me there is going to be a different HotKey to view all tracks. It was a small but very important part of my workflow. I keep going back to 10 just because of this.

timday

Post by timday » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Just noticed there seems to be a top bar and waveform/MIDI part for each track on the arrange page again (like in 9 but self coloured). So pleased if this is right, it makes editing when not in automation mode so much easier.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 pm

JerichoHendrix wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am
Beta is awesome. The only complaint is that I don't see a specified hotkey for viewing all tracks. Live 10 was just S but 10.1 S is to solo current track. Please tell me there is going to be a different HotKey to view all tracks. It was a small but very important part of my workflow. I keep going back to 10 just because of this.
H
Ableton Forum Moderator

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 am

Does anyone know any rough estimated time of "public" release ? I am asking how much of these cycles Ableton historically does before Live is ready for public release? Note i am not rushing or forcing just asking.

I see it's on beta15 now. So usually how much until release? Do they go to 20 beta releases? 30? Or simply until it's done. Or there is some timeline or possible release date?

Cheers

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am

There's no rule. It'll be delivered when it's considered stable enough.
Ableton Forum Moderator