Mojave macOS, will Ableton 10 ever be compatible?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
tput73@mac.com

Mojave macOS, will Ableton 10 ever be compatible?

Post by tput73@mac.com » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:39 pm

I have yet to update to Mojave, but would like to.
Is Abe 10 compatible with macOS 10.14.3.

Do you still need to grant permissions to Ableton.

Will this happen before the next macOS?

Anyone on Mojave glad they updated?

Thanks folks,
Put

scheffkoch

Re: Mojave macOS, will Ableton 10 ever be compatible?

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

...my mbp had mojave preinstalled so i had no choice but...: no problems so far!...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 pm

NEVER!

Ableton had a press conference in Germany to announce that they have ended support for Mac OS X because the Apple update cycle has become too ridiculous to continue to pander to. As a result of their decision, Abelton will buy back your copy of Live and provide you with a Logic gift certificate for 50% off.

email osx@ableton.com to initiate the buy back

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:18 pm

H20nly wrote:NEVER!

Ableton had a press conference in Germany to announce that they have ended support for Mac OS X because the Apple update cycle has become too ridiculous to continue to pander to. As a result of their decision, Abelton will buy back your copy of Live and provide you with a Logic gift certificate for 50% off.

Don't worry your copy of Live will be sent to a starving Windows ransom ware hacker in Ukraine.
Ableton understand the situation and want to give back to the community at large. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:58 pm

you can also convert Live to Bitcoin

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:19 pm

I hear a lot of problems with the combination of Mac OS X and Ableton Live. I just wonder how this ever could happen. Mac computers where the top notch for audio when I attended the SAE in Amsterdam, and at that time, around the turn of the century I bought a "Blackberry iMac" - a 400 MHz single core 64Mb machine with a 10Gb HDD. These where excellent at running the new 32bit Cubase VST 3.7 At the same time I had a Win 98 PC at 400 Mhz wich was not as good as the iMac for audio processing.

Fast forward to 2019 - I use a Win10 PC which is very powerfull - see my signature - and I would not want to use a Mac nowadays due to all the problems I never have with my PC. I like the idea of a Mac, they are so simple to use, but I just don't want to spent a lot of money on it now.

And then again, I dream of an OS intergrated Ableton, which boots seperate from other operating systems to run light and powerfull just for on task: Ableton Live!

This because a lot of stuff incorperated in an OS these days is not helpfull, or even in the way of audio processing.

Can't we have a Live OS? Who knows?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 am

miyaru wrote:I hear a lot of problems with the combination of Mac OS X and Ableton Live. I just wonder how this ever could happen. Mac computers where the top notch for audio when I attended the SAE in Amsterdam, and at that time, around the turn of the century I bought a "Blackberry iMac" - a 400 MHz single core 64Mb machine with a 10Gb HDD. These where excellent at running the new 32bit Cubase VST 3.7 At the same time I had a Win 98 PC at 400 Mhz wich was not as good as the iMac for audio processing.

Fast forward to 2019 - I use a Win10 PC which is very powerfull - see my signature - and I would not want to use a Mac nowadays due to all the problems I never have with my PC. I like the idea of a Mac, they are so simple to use, but I just don't want to spent a lot of money on it now.

And then again, I dream of an OS intergrated Ableton, which boots seperate from other operating systems to run light and powerfull just for on task: Ableton Live!

This because a lot of stuff incorperated in an OS these days is not helpfull, or even in the way of audio processing.

Can't we have a Live OS? Who knows?
Honestly, the OP is guilty of hyperbole, I have Live 10 installed on the laptop here with Mojave.
Both OS's these days are pretty dammed stable, problems are usually applications and how they talk to each other, and even that's rare.

I have 429 VSTs installed, I accept that it won't be the OS or Live that has issues.. :lol:

neyko

Post by neyko » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:09 pm

I use Sierra still. :P
Live 8 Suite iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB RAM & Macbook - 4gig RAM - Snow Leopard OS X - 2.4 Ghz - Apogee Duet - M-Audio Oxygen 49 - M-Audio 88es - Akai APC 40, Focusrite Saffire Firewire

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:53 pm

High Sierra with no issues.

I plan on upgrading in maybe a month or so.

That said my next studio computer might be a Windows laptop. I already use one for my live gigs and it works perfectly.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

H20nly wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 pm
NEVER!

I'd consider this buy-back program.

I've not been having a good time with Ableton Live 10 and Mojave overall and I can confidently say that I have had more crashes in the last 2 weeks than I have in the 15 or so years I've been using this software. Things like changing presets on factory instruments are causing Live 10 to just up and disappear on me in the middle of a jam.

I don't use much in the way of third party plugin stuff, other than Reaktor and an Eventide reverb. I use Lemur, Touch OSC and Touchable as well - in fairness I'll say that Touchable's drivers seem to have contributed some instability recently, still - overall it's getting to the point where I've been considering selling the whole lot and finding something else to play with, like Logic for example.

I know they'll pull it together and life will be good again eventually, I'm kind of getting to the point that I'm over it, though.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm

it's probably just your everlasting sustain. remove the brick and you should see better results.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm

:lol:

I sold the brick on Reverb last week, I listed it as "Organic Analog Sustain Brick **RARE**" - gone in under five minutes!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 pm

:lol:

huh. then it must be something else.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 pm

So, I'm pretty certain a lot of my woes have been coming from an iOS control surface driver and an aging Thunderbolt 2 dock. I did the "reset live" thing, pulled the Thunderbolt dock from the mix, and doing so has greatly improved performance on my setup. For this, I am ridiculously grateful and happy.

:mrgreen: