A Live set that functions as a CPU/system benchmark test?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
analog_rome

A Live set that functions as a CPU/system benchmark test?

Post by analog_rome » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 pm

Watching my PC slowly grind through another Live export render sends me researching the best CPU/system in my price range.

Long story short I think it would be cool if there existed a downloadable Live set, basic enough that it could work for Intro, Standard and Suite, to get a benchmark score that best measures Live performance, using measurements that apply to a DAW instead of gaming or video.

I guess really there would be 2 tests: CPU usage during live performance, and export/freeze render time.

Is this a worthy idea? Curious what people that better understand the inner workings of Live think.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: A Live set that functions as a CPU/system benchmark test?

Post by [jur] » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 pm

There's an old thread with a live set already on this forum. But why not create a new one with L10?
It's up to you to start a 2019 live set test topic.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:08 pm

analog_rome wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 pm
I guess really there would be 2 tests: CPU usage during live performance, and export/freeze render time.
CPU usage is straightforward to set up. Render time is very likely dependent on a single core performance, but it really should always be X2 faster than real time.

Here's the issue with CPU tests. Two things matter with CPU performance in a DAW, number of cores, and single core performance. The DAW itself matters as well of course. So, tracks get assigned a single core on your computer, after loading all cores it will load onto the existing cores. The amount of cores that you have and the power of the single core matters.

If I get time later today I will work on a test. Does anyone know a reliable over the years host to load a Live set to?

analog_rome

Post by analog_rome » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:14 am

I have a place it won't be bothered, I'll message you.