Using Ableton and midi triggering for live theatrical production - Questions re: set up and capabilities

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
replicait

Using Ableton and midi triggering for live theatrical production - Questions re: set up and capabilities

Post by replicait » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:02 am

Hey all,

I'm working on a production involving eight skateboarders who are all mic'd up and creating the soundscape of the performance via effects/plugins/loopers/EQs etc. I'm running off a new Mac Mini with Ableton 10, a Behringer X Touch midi controller, and an OP-1 that I'm using as a midi controller for the looper.

I haven't used Ableton in some time (I'm used to QLab and Logic) however as the show is very "musical" in nature I believe it's the best tool for the production.

So a few questions - I would like to set up the show so that it moves from "scene to scene", and hopefully the midi mapping and input assignments etc. can change from scene to scene too.

e.g.

Scene 1: 3 skateboard mics are live and routed to fx A, B, and C (all separate sends).
This cross fades to
Scene 2: 1 skateboard mic is live, routed to Looper send feat. specific midi mapping for record/overdub/play/stop/clear etc., and another fx for eq with midi mapping for live manipulation
This cross fades to
Scene 3: All eight skateboard mics are live with different effects on each channel, and routed to a send that applies a global effect (with parameters mapped to midi controller for live control).

I'm unsure what the best way is to set up a workspace where there are distinct scenes that can be individually midi-mapped.
Additionally is it possible to fade between scenes?

Any clarity regarding this would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I have one workspace set up that kind of does everything at once but being able to create very distinct scenes with their own parameters and mapping would make life SO much easier.

Thanks so much in advance.

fishmonkey

Re: Using Ableton and midi triggering for live theatrical production - Questions re: set up and capabilities

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 am

it's been a long time since i've messed with ClyphX, but from what you describe i think that ClyphX Pro might be in your future...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/clyphx-pro/

S4racen

Re: Using Ableton and midi triggering for live theatrical production - Questions re: set up and capabilities

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 am
it's been a long time since i've messed with ClyphX, but from what you describe i think that ClyphX Pro might be in your future...

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/clyphx-pro/
That's absolutely right!

Cheers
D

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:12 am

This sounds so cool! Hope you manage to figure something out, would love to see the end result!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:30 am

McAnix wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:12 am
This sounds so cool! Hope you manage to figure something out, would love to see the end result!
i guess it's this show:

https://skate.bighart.org/show/