Automation with External Instrument in Arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
liquidsn

Automation with External Instrument in Arrangement view

Post by liquidsn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:01 am

Hey all.

Just got the Minilogue XD and set it up in an External Instrument. In session view, I got it to record midi while playing the keys and knobs. Audio works, everything perfect so far. For some reason, the automation graphs don't show up in Arrangement view. I push 'A' to have the view show up. The pulldown menu doesn't have the midi for some reason. Only 'Ext. Instrument' and 'Mixer'. None of the midi CC that shows up in envelopes in Session view.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Automation with External Instrument in Arrangement view

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 am

Provided you recorded your automations in Session view then, in-between people argumenting, you'll find the answer.
And Search is your friend here on the top-right hand side corner btw :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

liquidsn

Post by liquidsn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:47 am

I read that thread before posting this. I get there are different auto/mod for session and arrangement, but the lanes or even the option to automate lanes are not showing up at all. I don't need to have the session automation carry over. The lanes are just not showing up in arrangement view with external instrument. It's fine with VSTs.

I'll go and search harder. :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 am

Where are you automating your Minilogue from?
Ableton Forum Moderator

liquidsn

Post by liquidsn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I’m automating from the knobs on the minilogue. I can record in session mode the midi notes and the knob twists. I can also arm the automation and use the session record button to add or change the automations curves with the minilogue physical buttons.

All is good in sesssion mode.

But in arrangement mode I can’t even see the option in the pull down menu. I push ‘a’ to see the lanes but there is no option to see any midi cc from the minilogue. I can see automations in VSTs easily. For some reason external instrument isn’t showing up.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm

On Arrangement, CCs stay in the clip.

To overcome this and have CCs on the track, one can use M4L devices that use CCs such as this one:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2560/cc-map8

liquidsn

Post by liquidsn » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Awesome. Just wanted to know it's a 'thing' in live and not me missing out on something.
Thanks for the m4l device tip!

cheers.

dreary_ennui

Post by dreary_ennui » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:29 am

liquidsn wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm
Awesome. Just wanted to know it's a 'thing' in live and not me missing out on something.
Thanks for the m4l device tip!

cheers.
Any luck with this? I have the minilogue xd and am trying to get the ccmapping to work. Seems to read OK but has trouble sending. Reading every twiddle as CC 63. Mapping knob 1 to CC 16 shows me the right input from the synth, but i can't seem to send it back properly.

M4rtijn

Post by M4rtijn » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:01 pm

I had exactly the same problem with my Minilogue XD, so I developed a Max4Live device called MiniloCC XD to make sending CC to the Minilogue XD in high resolution as easy as possible. You can get it at https://gumroad.com/l/NLDQC .