recording on already recorded trcacks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sebastian

recording on already recorded trcacks

Post by Sebastian » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Hi

I Have 1 tracka with guitar part A for 10 measures.

When I try to record on that SAME track to lay down part B, I start the recording a few measures before part A ends. As you know I can erase the lead in time of the new clip that is recording over part A.

The problem is for now I cannot hear the already recorded part A as I begin to record part B!

any suggests?

thanks
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:50 pm

huh ?

what about Auto punch in and out ?

or create another track ?
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:23 pm

I do know of Punch In and Out but right now im trying to understand why i cannoteven hear the already recorded material when i want to record on that same track

I CAN hear it when it just plays but like i said the moment i wanto to record on that track no sound

Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:53 pm

If you're recording over the top of a recording you've already done, you can't listen to that old recording at the same time -it works just like an old tape deck in that respect. Live cant perform two operations at the same time on the same track.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to hear the sound that you're recording over?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:45 pm

is that what you mean sebastian ? 8O

if so just record on another track
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

davy

Post by davy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:58 pm

I think he has a monitoring problem. Switch the monitor buttons on the mixer.

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:57 am

yeah i would insert another audio track. it sounds kind of like youre going to want to crossfade betwixt the two anyhow, which would require an additional track.

Pilgrim

Re: recording on already recorded trcacks

Post by Pilgrim » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 pm

Sebastian wrote:Hi

I Have 1 tracka with guitar part A for 10 measures.

When I try to record on that SAME track to lay down part B, I start the recording a few measures before part A ends. As you know I can erase the lead in time of the new clip that is recording over part A.

The problem is for now I cannot hear the already recorded part A as I begin to record part B!

any suggests?

thanks
You cannot “add” part B to a mono file/clip. If the pre-recorded clip were a stereo clip/file with the pre-recorded part panned hard to one side and the other side blank or to be erased/overwritten, then you could add a part B to that other side (panned hard to that side).
In any case you cannot add a part B to a mono file but you can record it together with another “part” into a new stereo file. If you pan them to opposite sides, each will be separate but sound on their hard-panned side.

I believe what you want to do is take a previously recorded mono file/track/clip and make it stereo and put the previous part on one side and record the other side while listening/monitoring the pre-recorded side.
All into a new stereo file. You cannot record over a file while listening to it, mono or stereo.

Mono files can be converted into stereo files in Sound Forge (using two source files) but in LIVE you can play one while listening to the other, pan both to opposite sides and record the results into a stereo file.
Here is setup:
Make sure that your Master is a stereo output, it should be already.
I use Session View. Make an audio track to play the pre-recorded clip to Master (or your monitor output, I monitor Master).
Make an audio track with mic input to MONITOR (not record) your play-along.

Pan each of these tracks to opposite sides.
Make another (third) audio track with inputs either from Master or the two other tracks.
Arm only this track to record.
When you hit play, you may have to try different monitor selections in the tracks to hear both the pre-recorded track and played/mic track, but you will find it.

The third track will record a stereo file with tracks panned right and left.

You don't have to hard-pan the separate takes, they can be mixed using the pan control of each while monitoring the Master. Pannind hard will give separate parts that can be mixed by pan later.

I suppose that you could monitor both tracks in Session and record using Arrangement View, might be even easier to understand but either will work, play back one, play the other, then record the resulting mono tracks in Arrangement View into a single stereo track.
Above first way is all-at-once and best for me.

I cannot confirm (try) this at this moment since I am at home and not at studio but sounds good to me as a start to understanding.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Re: recording on already recorded trcacks

Post by Pilgrim » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:15 pm

I think that you are missing the whole point of using a multi-track audio program (or DAW) such as LIVE!
Subject to system power, any number of “parts” from one to however-many-your-computer-will-play/record-at-a-time (or any unlimited number using bouncing to reduce track count) can be played/monitored/etc. into any number of resulting tracks or files (mone/one file or Stereo/one file, etc.).
Or simply save the DAW/LIVE! file.

LIVE! offers almost unlimited combining of source material (music) in any combination to be manipulated in real time (LIVE!) to produce a performance.

For us “non-performers” who use LIVE! for recording/arranging, these capabilities may be available in other DAW programs, but we know that LIVE! is easier to use since we can “think final performance” (as in completed song) and LIVE! makes it simple (or at least easier when we understand it.)

Your subject for this thread is “recording on already recorded tracks” but you need to THINK “recording WITH already recorded tracks”, get it.

The process will be flexible since you can do many “takes” of your added tracks AND you may even have more that two tracks to mix when you get the two “parts” sounding as you want them.
. . .and LIVE! is the MIXER !!
At that point you can simply play them in LIVE! together mixing them as you want AND THEN record them (from the Monitor or Master) into either a mono file or a stereo file (or, in the case of other DAWs, a surround file or set).
LIVE! will do surround NOW if you have a joy-stick MIDI device to “play” the mixing to Master!!!

Why overwrite the original mono file with a mix of two parts as you seem to want to do. Make two tracks and tweak them etc. and then play/render them to whatever file you want.

That is what Multi-track Audio is all about.

I do believe that Sound Forge may do what you want but I suspect not in real time. You must use two tracks or files played as tracks mixed together.

Get it?

Nuff
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Trying to help or get help under unusual conditions. . .

Post by Pilgrim » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:49 am

This is about Sebastian. . . and this Pilgrim

. . . because I KNOW that his efforts to use these forums (and others) seem to show him as having some “attitude”. . .or at least a rather RUSHED attitude. . NOT TRUE !
But, yes, it sort-of looks that way. . and my efforts to help him, specifically, are often a bit short-natured as well. Always after some consideration of the following, I wish I had been more gentle but. . .

I have known and worked with Sebastian for several years. He is very talented musically as well in many other areas. He is classically trained and plays classical guitar. Wouldn’t some of you guitar hackers wish for that distinction, yes?

You may have noticed that all Sebastian’s posts are made around or after midnight, Eastern US time. It is always after a long high energy day for him.

Sebastian is a very successful executive for the biggest, coolest, Latin TV network. He spends at least 12 to 15 hours each day in very high energy interaction with the Latin business community. The Spanish speaking community in the US has almost as much cultural and language diversity as our own. Sebastian has excelled in this difficult environment.

Sebastian is true to the understanding that Family is most important. His immediate family lives near him and he is involved with them constantly.

Also, you men would like to be as good with the Ladies as Sebastian, truly in expected Latin fashion. I can never keep track. . .;-)

All this takes much time and energy and is all conducted in Spanish and under heavy cultural pressures most of which are quite foreign, at least in intensity, to these parts.

But, Sebastian loves music and often the only time to put toward music is when a lesser person would have crashed into bed only to wait for the next day of the same.

A little understanding and empathy here might be useful for us. We are perhaps not so driven or dedicated.
Sebastian often gets in a hurry because it might even work.

We are friends, Sebastian and I, from time to time. The times that we are NOT friends, or seem not to be, are always directly attributed to our cultural and language differences and extreme time restraints in our separate and quite different lives.

I am 25 years older and have had perhaps the exact opposite experience in my youth as Sebastian, especially concerning Family. Understanding between us often gets a bit thin.

But. . . regardless, I continue to try to help and look forward to his success in music. He will make it! He’s made of that kind of stuff. It’ll be really great music too!

Please don’t be too harsh if Sebastian seems to be outrunning himself, or that I seem to work too hard to understand and explain. I'm learning too!

ThankYouVeryMuch,

Pilgrim. . . a true Florida Cajun Cracker... certainly a cultural misfit at best!