Recording to a pad on Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
cut'n'mute

Recording to a pad on Push 2

Post by cut'n'mute » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

It seems like there's no way to record external sound directly to a pad in a Drum Rack. Am I right?

P.S. If so, I'm selling this sh*t and go back to MPC.
Damn, it's XXI century out there.

jestermgee

Re: Recording to a pad on Push 2

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Well you can record an input to a clip then convert that to a drum rack so you could record a loop[ or break then create a sample kit from it all with Push:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... rom-vinyl-

If you want to just record a single sample you could do it that way.

If you are hell bent on sampling direct to a drum pad then may need to bag your sh*t.

cut'n'mute

Post by cut'n'mute » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am

Thanks a lot.

Yes I know that I can record into a clip and then convert it to Drum Rack or sampler. But I still hope there's a workaround.
Because the hell breaks loose when you need to add one sound from an external source to an existing drum rack.

You have to:

a). Record your sound to a clip
b). Convert a clip into drum rack (this will add a new channel), WHY?
c). There's no way to copy a pad from one Drum Rack to another from Push 2, so you have to grab your mouse and drag-n-drop the pad from new Drum Rack to old.
e). Delete the new track;

That was really my disappointment of the month. :-(((

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:34 am

Do you have M4L?
Ableton Forum Moderator

herrreinholt

Post by herrreinholt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:17 pm

cut'n'mute wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:45 am
Thanks a lot.

Yes I know that I can record into a clip and then convert it to Drum Rack or sampler. But I still hope there's a workaround.
Because the hell breaks loose when you need to add one sound from an external source to an existing drum rack.

You have to:

a). Record your sound to a clip
b). Convert a clip into drum rack (this will add a new channel), WHY?
c). There's no way to copy a pad from one Drum Rack to another from Push 2, so you have to grab your mouse and drag-n-drop the pad from new Drum Rack to old.
e). Delete the new track;

That was really my disappointment of the month. :-(((
You don't have to create a new drum rack, just drag the recorded file to an empty slot on the drum rack you´re working with.
Anyway, I´d love to see the possibility to sample to a drum rack cell myself.

cut'n'mute

Post by cut'n'mute » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:04 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:34 am
Do you have M4L?
I've got Ableton 10, it has M4L onboard.
Do you know any devices that are able to do that?
You don't have to create a new drum rack, just drag the recorded file to an empty slot on the drum rack you´re working with.
Anyway, I´d love to see the possibility to sample to a drum rack cell myself.
Yes, I know that. But this is a Push discussion. Isn't it?
And there's no way to do that from Push without touching a mouse.

cut'n'mute

Post by cut'n'mute » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 pm

It seems that the only way to have a desired workflow with external samples recording is to use Session view as a Drum Rack.

So you set a default launch mode to trigger with no quantisation and then you can record clips and play them instantly.
Also removing stop buttons helps if you want to play clips from the same track simultaneously.

The only limitation is that you can't have FX set per clip, only per channel. But this really speeds up the process of creating Drum Racks for fingerdrumming when creating sounds with external sources (f.i. synths).

sinik

Post by sinik » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:53 pm

this is the one reason why i still prefer working on the mpc for that matter.
i really like push but for sampling and chopping, the mpc is much more fun and fluid.

who knows what the next hardware realease or software update from ableton will bring to the table.
i'm sure they will make sampling easier in the future.

cut'n'mute

Post by cut'n'mute » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 pm

I must admit that I'm using more and more hardware these days because of the immediacy of the process. You turn the knob, you get the result.
I was hoping that Push would bring that hands-on experience, but it's not there at all. In the end it's actually faster to use mouse and keyboard for almost any operation.

I hope they will fix it some day.

P.S. Even Akai Force has simple obvious features which Push 2 is lacking. (splitting pads to clips and notes for instance).

cut'n'mute

Post by cut'n'mute » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 am

Guys, I'm sorry!

Actually there's a way to load currently recorded audio to an existing Drum Rack without touching a computer.
When you browse for a sample from a Drum Rack's pad there's a folder Current Project (It's the last in the folder list).
All recorded audio of an opened project is stored in that folder. So if you record an audio clip, the file will be there and you can load it to a pad!!!

I don't know if I'm captain Obvious now, but for me it's like revealing the second Newton law.

Man, I'm now sitting in front of my synths crafting sounds and don't look at computer screen at all!