Using collections with external plugins ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebben

Using collections with external plugins ?

Post by nebben » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:20 pm

When I use any of the Ableton's stock plug-ins like Operator or Analog, I can right-click a preset in the browser and mark with a color. Is it also possible to do it for the external plugins ? So that I could mark e.g. Sylenth or FM8 presets ?

Fanu

Re: Using collections with external plugins ?

Post by Fanu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Yes.

nebben

Post by nebben » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 am

Fanu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm
Yes.
Could you tell me, how ? I can't see the presets from external plugins in browser.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:01 am

nebben wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:50 am
Fanu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm
Yes.
Could you tell me, how ? I can't see the presets from external plugins in browser.
You first activate them in the Prefs, under Plug-Ins tab.
After that you'll see them and can all to Collections.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:17 am

If I understand your question, you want to favorite specific presets from plugins rather than just the actual plugin?

If that is the case you need to first wrap the VST in an Instrument Rack and then with the preset loaded you need to save the rack which will preserve the loaded preset and mappings. Then favourite it as you would any other file

nebben

Post by nebben » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:47 am

Please see an image. On the left, there is an Operator insrument - all the presets can be seen in browser. On the right, external plugin Massive. Its presets are not shown in browser.
https://ibb.co/BN9Tg4H
I can load a VST into a MIDI track and then choose a preset from a drop down "Select VST preset" but I can't mark it with a color because it is not shown in browser.
Grouping into Instrument Rack is working fine, but is a bit uncomfortable because the presets are then stored under Instrument Rack and not under a specific VST.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 am

Most peculiar.
I hadn't actually noticed how some VSTs have that floppy icon and allow for storing of presets the "normal" way while some do not.
Wonder why. At least all AUs have that floppy icon, but I don't know why some VSTs don't.