latency is getting bigger and smaller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eMko

latency is getting bigger and smaller

Post by eMko » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi guys, I know that there was written a lot about latency, but I still not found the right answer for me... :-/

I start with my hardware and setup. I use macbook pro 2011, 2,3GHz I5 with 8GB RAM and 500gb Samsung SSD and/or Mac mini 2014 2.6GHz with 8GB Ram. I use Ableton 10, Ableton Push 2 and Roland TR8S. I use external sound card Behringer Uphoria UMC 404 HD. I use my Push 2 to control Roland as a step sequencer via drum rack in Ableton and Im sending sound from Roland to ableton. For that I use USB cable, not MIDI.

And here is my problem.. When I fix in menu the latency of Roland which is something about -46ms than the beat start right where it should.. But after some seconds it start shifting and when I record new beat after 15 seconds then the beat start late again.. and its getting bigger and bigger until I stop the session and start again, but then the beat start before the zero point in ableton, so it start earlier than the metronome.. Im not able to have still the same latency. Fix it once and for all.. This is happening with my macbook pro and also with my mac mini.. And it happend even before I had the Roland, with my beatstep pro, so i guess the problem is not in Roland. Could by the soundcard the problem? When I Use Roland as a external output, the latency is getting smaller, but still moving while I play.. Im pretty desperate with this :-/

Thanks for any useful answer Guys!

deepblue_90047

Re: latency is getting bigger and smaller

Post by deepblue_90047 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:31 am

Hello

Please load the Ableton Live help menu built into Ableton Live.

There's a section called "Hardware Setup"

In that section look for "Driver Error Compensation" and click and load the lesson.

Make sure you load the liveset that is part of the lesson for "Driver Error Compensation" follow the instructions in the lesson.

This should help solve your problem.
You need to dial in your hardware after you do this you be able to know the latency of your hardware you are using and enter in the value and once
this is done correctly your Ableton Live will keep time.

I hope this helps

eMko

Post by eMko » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:46 pm

I dont understand it.. I did everything what they say in this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkBIqMPvz8c and still.. If I measure the latency.. ( its about 44ms) and I put this value to the driver error compensation, nothing happen.. I measure it again and its still 44ms.. If I do any change in setup, its not effect the Ableton :-/

eMko

Post by eMko » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Actually, any change I do in the setting is not affect the TR8S or anything.. :-/

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

It might be worth trying disconnecting the Behringer interface, launching a new project with no plugins in it and seeing what happens if you use the Mac’s on-board sound. If latency is stable using that then the problem would seem to be the Behringer (or its driver).

If latency using the Mac sound chip is stable but you have plugins you always use then try adding them to the project one at a time and see what happens.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

eMko

Post by eMko » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:31 pm

I have the same problem when behringer is disconnected and I use Roland as audio output.. When I use Ableton drumrack with beat from ableton, is fine and the beat is in right time.. I think, that clock is send late to roland.. When I had Arturia beatstep pro and use it, as a stepsequencer, I had the same problem.. Thinkink, its a Arturia problem.. But now I see, it was not about Arturia.. Here, again is my setup.. it might help.. I use Push 2 as a step sequencer to create steps in ableton drum rack which send midi through usb cabel to Roland and then Roland send the sound to ableton back, to be modified with some ableton audio filters and the sound go through sound card out.. So in drum rack, I have 10 external instrument for each instrument in Roland and also I have 10 audio tracks for each sound from roland.. I found that if I set driver error compensation, its not work when my monitors on audio tracks are set on IN.. Maybe some external device for sending click would solve the problem, but I still hope, that there is some solution in Ableton.. Anyway, really thanks for any help guys!