Can't hear drum rack midi when using computer keyboard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ975

Can't hear drum rack midi when using computer keyboard?

Post by DJ975 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am

Hi,

Sorry, I don't think this is the correct forum but the more obvious one is CLOSED.

I'm new to Ableton and have an issue trying to record a midi drum rack quickly using my computer keyboard.

I have followed all the instructions on arming the track etc and pressing the midi keyboard button, but when I press the keys (a, s, d etc) no sound. I can see activity in the top right where a little square flashes yellow but can't get any sound unless I use the mouse and press on the pre-hear of each sound where it flashes red, i can also draw in the notes which works.

If I set up another midi track and use a synth sound from Simpler this works perfectly when using the keyboard. Anybody happen to know what the problem maybe?

Cheers :)

chrk

Re: Can't hear drum rack midi when using computer keyboard?

Post by chrk » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:20 pm

DJ975 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am
trying to record a midi drum rack
Look at the drum rack's 18.6.1 Pad View [link to the manual]. - Which pads are occupied (light grey) and where does the note you play flash (yellow)? It's probably in the wrong octave.

x/y keys are octave down/up when in computer keyboard midi mode.

DJ975

Post by DJ975 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ah, ok I see the small grids to the left of the drum rack!!!

So every time I drop a different drum rack in, the square/light grey small grids (16) is always in the same place, 3rd from bottom. When I press my keyboard key (e.g. A) the yellow square lights up in the set of 16 small squares above the highlighted grey squares.

What am I meant to be doing exactly to correct this problem (bit clueless), as I can move the black outline which appears around each set of 16 small squares up and down which then shows me all the other empty racks (octave). How do I get the loaded sample rack grey squares to appear on the set of 16 small squares above or get the yellow squares to appear on the light grey grid?

cheers.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:10 pm

As chrk said, Z and X keys change octaves. Press until the status bar in the bottom-left of Live's window says 'Your current octave is C1 to D2'