Back making music after a long break = some questions.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
martin808

Back making music after a long break = some questions.

Post by martin808 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 pm

I’ve been using since live 1. I pretty much knew it inside out but had kids about nearly 7 years ago and my studio got dismantled and so did my urge to make music all of a sudden. Now my kids are slightly less hard work and we’ve just moved house and we have a spare room so I have a small studio set up and Ive been in to making music for the past few months.

Couple of questions

1. Why is my computer running ableton so bad. I’ve got stuttering sound a lot even with only one instance of maschine running. I’m running live 8 On a i7 ThinkPad, 16gb ram and ssd. I’m using an old echo audiofire 2 interface. I have to have it plugged in to an express card adaptor. It’s the exact same set up I had years ago and it used to run fine on a far slower computer. Am I missing something in my settings. I used to be good at setting pcs up for music but I’ve forgotten a lot of that. Funnily my ableton skills are all spot on. I still remember how to work it no probs. Keyboard shortcuts and all the old muscle memory with using it came flooding back.

2. Is it worth me upgrading to 10. I have 8 suite. Are there any killer features that would make the upgrade worthwhile?

Tia

morpheus555

Re: Back making music after a long break = some questions.

Post by morpheus555 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:49 am

I am by no means an expert, but Live 10 has a lot of user-interface improvements and a few pretty cool instruments.

I have Live 7 on my old desktop, and it runs like crap on that computer. I feel that as software gets long in the tooth, and operating systems keep getting updated, you're more and more likely to run into trouble. Maybe try installing Live 10 trial on your thinkpad and see if it runs fine. If it does, it's the software, if it doesn't, it's your system.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Check your power profile settings and ensure in bios and windows you have your cpu running max and not low power mode or power saving. There are loads of tweaks and knowing the model of i7 would help since I have 6 computers with i7 processors but some are 6 years old now and not very capable.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon May 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Just because a new PC is more powerful than an older PC doesn't necessarily mean it's better "out of the box" at handling low-latency audio.

It might be worth going to https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon and downloading latencymon.exe (it's free). It's a small app which checks if a Windows PC is able to run near-real time audio and points to the source of any problems.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.