Installing VST’s

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyespy900

Installing VST’s

Post by eyespy900 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Hello and good evening.

A little help please. A newbie here. I have recently purchased an native instruments a49 midi controller and installed ableton live lite, I have also installed all the NI content. I am trying to install some superwave vst’s, but they are not showing up at all. I have placed the in the same location as the NI content and enabled the custom folder. Can someone give a some help.

Many thanks in advance

TLW

Re: Installing VST’s

Post by TLW » Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Are you using a Mac or Windows? Where plugins go depends on the operating system.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

eyespy900

Post by eyespy900 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Yes, sorry I should have stated that. Using windows 10

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 am

1. Make sure it is the same type of software as Live. So the vst should be 64 bit. And not vst3, which isn’t supported yet. Assuming all that is correct.

2. Some plug ins are more fussy about how you manage their files than others. If the plug in was installed to the directory that you have the vst in, then it ‘should’ work. But often people might install something in a place they didn’t prefer, and then they start moving files around. That can sometimes break the vst and Live won’t see it. Usually if I install a vst somewhere I didn’t intend for it to be, I’ll Copy the vst file and then ‘paste as shortcut’ to the place where I want it to be. This pastes a shortcut they points to your initial installed vst and then things usually work fine.

Aside from each of the above stated possibilities, I doubt know what the issue could be.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 am

VST installing checklist

1. Install VST2 not VST3 (VST3 is not yet supported in official Live releases).

2. If using Live 10, it is 64-bit, so install 64-bit versions of the VSTs. If using Live 9 or less, install 32-bit VSTs for use with 32-bit Live, 64-bit VSTs for use with 64-bit Live.

3. Make sure to install all your VSTs under the same folder you have chosen in Live's Preferences. One has to pay particular attention to this during the VST's installation process. You can, of course, create sub-directories under this folder to organize your VSTs.

4. Like yur2die4 mentioned, if for some reason you really cannot install your VSTs directly into Live's VST folder (rare, but it does happen. Sometimes also due to overzealous Windows admin protection, you have to install outside of the File Programs) - you can place a shortcut inside Live's VST folder to point to the actual VST somewhere else on the hard drive.