Why No Send/Return Track Clips for Looping Automation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Octopolis

Why No Send/Return Track Clips for Looping Automation?

Post by Octopolis » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 pm

I was expecting this would work, that I could create clips in the Send/Return track scene slots that would record automation, Then I could trigger whatever automation clip I wanted for the effects in that S/R track.

Why wouldn't this work in 2019? Is there something that makes this difficult to implement?

Pitch Black

Re: Why No Send/Return Track Clips for Looping Automation?

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 pm

A way to achieve this is to set up a MIDI loopback, where you send MIDI out of Live and back in again to control return tracks. This can be either a software MIDI routing such as the IAC bus on Mac or MIDI Ox/Yoke on PC. You can use a physical MIDI interface as well.

Check this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214885&p=1658646&hi ... k#p1658646
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

timday

Post by timday » Sat May 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Also you can use the Max API device to automate parameters in other tracks if you have Suite. So you can e.g. use a clip in a normal audio track to automate things in a return track.

I agree it would be a lot easier if you could just have automation clips in return tracks but as with so many things in Live, if it doesn't do it natively, someone has most likely made a Max device.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 am

You can route the audio output of a return channel to an audio channel instead of Master. Then that audio channel can be the return channel’s channel strip and you can automate that.

Octopolis

Post by Octopolis » Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 am

Great, thanks for the replies . I think I'll use the return track audio routing that yur2die4 mentioned and set up the audio effects on that channel with its own automation clips.

It just seems like the easiest to implement. I wouldn't know what Max4Live devices I can use for the automation of another track...?

It's neat that those clip launchers will be able select which effects are active on just the 1 "return". So I could have a chain of effects and choose which ones are active, which settings and any automation. Perfect for loop quantized performance effects and DJ effects or one shots that apply the effect on beat and then drop off.

It could be a better method to just send audio directly from a number of tracks if I want full wet-dry control.. like a bitcrusher that needs 100%.