one crash too many, goodbye after a decade...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Fantismo

one crash too many, goodbye after a decade...

Post by Fantismo » Sun May 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Having suffered well over a thousand crashes I have finally decided to commit permanently to bitwig..

I've spent the last month working only in bigwig, creating a tracks from scratch and I'm convinced now's the time to switch.

I've experienced ZERO crashes, and the file system is super quick and useful. The massive slow down you get in Ableton isnt present, in bigwig you can FULLY disable instruments and keep them in the file under a group. (don't reply saying you can do the same in Ableton, you can't.. research it.. the plugin stays and takes up space AND slows Ableton down)

bounce in place is a joy and JUST FREEZING to audio is so f---ing quick it makes me loath the amount of time I've spent on ableton live..

anyway...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRd ... kk75l7c0wd

this is the doc you need.

Baphometrix is to thank.

Bye x

eDubbleU

Re: one crash too many, goodbye after a decade...

Post by eDubbleU » Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 pm

what OS do you use? i'm just starting to get into recording and if i shouldn't waste time on Live, i'd like to know it now.

I'm going to get a Mac soon but i'm using windows 7 right now.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

I am not familiar with the situations the original poster is dealing with, but I do have to say that you might get more bang for your buck if you upgrade to a win 10 computer instead of a Mac. There’s been some lukewarm vibes going around lately when it comes to macs. It’d be nice if they upped their game back up, as they did have a good product when it came to reliability on stage.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm

@Fantismo, sorry for your bad experience with Live. Have fun with Bitwig! Only music matters.

@eDubbleU, stick with Windows, really (from a OS X user that never used Windows)...
Ableton Forum Moderator

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Macs are still as reliable as ever. At least, they are now the recent Mojave 10.14.4 release seems to have fixed the USB audio issues affecting the 2018/19 T2 chip models. There are some long threads on RME’s forums about that if anyone’s interested in diving down that rabbit hole.

I used Windows DAWs from i486 days, when a DAW was not much more than a basic MIDI sequencer and four-track recorder, until three or four years ago when Win10 persuaded me to switch entirely to Macs. For laptop use I’ve always used Macs, getting a good Windows laptop suitable for DAW use is a bit of a lottery and laptops up to the job of being a low-latency DAW tend to be in the Apple price range anyway.

PCs do have the bang per buck edge on Macs, though a good DAW PC tends to be more expensive than a basic office or “home” PC especially if it needs to be acoustically quiet. On the other hand Macs Core Audio/MIDI pretty much “just works” while PCs often need tweaking and configuring to get low latency results. Mac’s built-in MIDI networking, ability to seamlessly connect iPads/phones as MIDI controllers and audio interfaces and being able to use more than one audio interface at the same time can be very useful.

It also has to be said that Retina screens are very smooth, sharp and easy on the eyes.

I don’t go in for PC vs Mac “religious warfare”, both are capable systems with strengths and weaknesses. In the end it comes down to budget, the intended use of the computer, functions you do/don’t need to have and personal preference.

As for Live, 10.0.6 runs fine on Mojave, or at least it does for me. Live 10.0.5 was a bit crash-prone, though not disastrously so.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Fantismo

Post by Fantismo » Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 am

eDubbleU wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 pm
what OS do you use? i'm just starting to get into recording and if i shouldn't waste time on Live, i'd like to know it now.

I'm going to get a Mac soon but i'm using windows 7 right now.
MAC OSX

If I was starting from scratch I can honestly tell you the bigwig guys other care more or have an infrastructure that enables them to do more.. go with them.

seriously, Ive just check and I've used ableton for 13 years... the amount of pain I've suffered.. lost sets... crashes, lost time with their workflow... if only they'd listen to their users...

wearemindflux

Post by wearemindflux » Mon May 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Im sorry i have to disagree with you. They always listen to there customers.

If your having problems it could relate to your file structures and where stuff is stored.
Grab your free techno samples here>>>http://bit.ly/2YAS8so

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 pm

TLW wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 pm
I don’t go in for PC vs Mac “religious warfare”, both are capable systems with strengths and weaknesses.
I don't want either. As I said, I've only ever use OSX and I think it's a wonderful OS (still on El Cap, because it just works). What I wanted to say is that I think it's not a good idea to switch to Mac just because it's hard to resist the trend. Once you're stuck in their ecosystem it's hard to left, and this ecosystem is becoming more and more closed, and (no politics here...).
My old good 2011 mbp failed a few months ago and while I'm preparing myself to switch to Windows at some point since quite some time now, I ended up going for a 10+ years macpro because I could only afford this (and it's still enough of a beast for me) and was my only option to keep on using osx (or build a hackintosh).
my 2cts
Ableton Forum Moderator

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Fantismo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 am
If I was starting from scratch I can honestly tell you the bigwig guys other care more or have an infrastructure that enables them to do more.. go with them.

seriously, Ive just check and I've used ableton for 13 years... the amount of pain I've suffered.. lost sets... crashes, lost time with their workflow... if only they'd listen to their users...
use whatever works for you.

however, you are being a bit unfair as there have been plenty of problems with Bitwig over the years. the grass is always greener and all that.

if you compare one month versus 13 years then the 13 years is going to have a lot more problems in it, no matter which way you slice it!

good luck either way.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri May 10, 2019 2:07 am

I have to say I've been a little frustrated with the software as well. I listed my Suite license for sale twice over the past couple months, after having owned this software for a similarly long time. I changed my mind both times and decided I am just going to hang on and wait for things to get sorted out. I'm too old to change.

I'll be glad when my MBP's fans stop spinning up at the thought of opening Ableton Live, and also when my MBP stops nagging me about Ableton being incompatible with my OS. I'm glad they're adding the CV tools, though. I just played around with the beta and had a blast clocking Ableton with my Wogglebug. :)