Question for APC40 Mk2 owners.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tim York

Question for APC40 Mk2 owners.

Post by Tim York » Thu May 09, 2019 1:58 pm

I have an APC40 mk2 here that I've borrowed from someone and might buy off them.
Sometimes the volume faders are slightly inaccurate relative to the software.
I'll push the fader up to unity on the hardware and it will actually take the software up to higher than unity. This seems to happen when I've moved the focus onto another 8 tracks, then back again to the original 8 tracks. Doesn't always happen though.. Just wondering if there's anything I should be concerned about with the hardware or if this is just the software being a bit glitchy. This is with Live 9 and OS 10.9.5..

doghouse

Re: Question for APC40 Mk2 owners.

Post by doghouse » Thu May 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Live has a Value Scaling takeover mode that allows smooth parameter changes from controller inputs. Rather than jumping to the current slider position, it adjusts the parameter in the direction the slider moves. This is only WYSIWG once the two values are equal.

The other modes are:

None — As soon as the physical control is moved, its new value is sent immediately to its destination
parameter, usually resulting in abrupt value changes. This is WYSIWYG as soon as you move a control.

Pick-Up — Moving the physical control has no effect until it reaches the value of its destination
parameter. As soon as they are equal, the destination value tracks the control’s value 1:1 and the control is WYSIWG until it is mapped to a different parameter. This option can provide smooth value changes, but it can be difficult to estimate exactly where the
pick-up will take place.

See 27.1.3 Takeover Mode in the Live manual.

On the APC40, takeover mode only affects the sliders. The endless rotary controls use the LED rings to indicate the value, so are WYSIWYG at all times.

Tim York

Re: Question for APC40 Mk2 owners.

Post by Tim York » Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm

doghouse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:13 pm
Live has a Value Scaling takeover mode that allows smooth parameter changes from controller inputs. Rather than jumping to the current slider position, it adjusts the parameter in the direction the slider moves. This is only WYSIWG once the two values are equal.

The other modes are:

None — As soon as the physical control is moved, its new value is sent immediately to its destination
parameter, usually resulting in abrupt value changes. This is WYSIWYG as soon as you move a control.

Pick-Up — Moving the physical control has no effect until it reaches the value of its destination
parameter. As soon as they are equal, the destination value tracks the control’s value 1:1 and the control is WYSIWG until it is mapped to a different parameter. This option can provide smooth value changes, but it can be difficult to estimate exactly where the
pick-up will take place.

See 27.1.3 Takeover Mode in the Live manual.

On the APC40, takeover mode only affects the sliders. The endless rotary controls use the LED rings to indicate the value, so are WYSIWYG at all times.
Thank you, this is really helpful. I had it set to Value Scaling so when the fader was at zero but Live's fader was at unity, pushing the physical fader up to unity was pushing Live's fader even higher. I will try Pick Up and see if that works better for my needs.