Switchig between minor and major chords (using the Chord Effect)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan M.

Switchig between minor and major chords (using the Chord Effect)

Post by Dan M. » Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm

I just learned how to create violin chords in Ableton 10 Live Lite, by using the MIDI effect called Chord. However, if a song has both major and minor chords, I think I need to have two different effects, the one called Major Chord, and another for minor chords (I explain below), and switch between them while I play. How can I do that, using the computer keyboard (I don't yet have a MIDI keyboard). If not possible, then what do I need to look for when purchasing a MIDI keyboard to make sure I'll be able to switch between effects?

Just to make sure I understand this correctly: for C Major, I would need the notes C - E - G. The effect called "Major Chord" would add two extra violins:
Violin 2: +4 semitones
Violin 3: + 7 semitones.

But for a minor chord, I believe I would need:
Violin 2: +3 semitones
And that means I need a second effect, right?

Thank you!

pottering

Re: Switchig between minor and major chords (using the Chord Effect)

Post by pottering » Fri May 10, 2019 7:54 pm

You can just turn that +4 knob one semitone down.

You can MIDI (or Key) assign a button or knob to that +4 knob (or +3 in a Minor preset) then constrain the Range (Min +3, Max +4), then the button will alternate between those 2 values.

You can load the Minor and Major chord presets in a MIDI Effect Rack, each in a Chain, then you turn off the Activator in one of the Chains and MIDI (or Key) assign the Activators of both Chains to the same button, then they will alternate turning on-off.
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:04 am

If you’re using a basic scale with no outside notes then you can place the Scale effect after the chord effect. It’ll force majors to become minors if that’s what the scale calls for.

Dan M.

Post by Dan M. » Sat May 11, 2019 4:57 am

pottering wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:54 pm
You can MIDI (or Key) assign a button or knob to that +4 knob (or +3 in a Minor preset) then constrain the Range (Min +3, Max +4), then the button will alternate between those 2 values.

You can load the Minor and Major chord presets in a MIDI Effect Rack, each in a Chain, then you turn off the Activator in one of the Chains and MIDI (or Key) assign the Activators of both Chains to the same button, then they will alternate turning on-off.
Thanks! These are two different methods, I assume? So if I wanted to assign a keyboard key to a knob, how can I do that? I don't have a MIDI controller yet.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:02 am

You can assign to a knob or to a button.

Or, since you don’t have a keyboard yet, you can apply the same concept and build the rack now and assign a qwerty key with key mapping. For the key mapping, you need to set your minimum and maximum values to +4 and +3 so that it toggles
between the two values.

That applies to the first suggestion.

With my suggestion you don’t need to switch things on and off. But it restricts you to only playing notes within the key.

Edit: added min/max key mapping explanation

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat May 11, 2019 5:21 am

In addition, to enter Key Map Mode use Ctrl+K (Cmd+K on Mac) or the "Key" button on the top-right of Live.
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... te-control
♥♥♥

Dan M.

Post by Dan M. » Sat May 11, 2019 5:35 am

yur2die4 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:02 am
With my suggestion you don’t need to switch things on and off. But it restricts you to only playing notes within the key.
Thank you! I'm beginning to understand.

The thing is, when I made simple backing tracks for cover songs with someone who can hear Chords, sometimes he used both the major and the minor chords in the same song. He listened to how to original track, and sometimes you could have both B and B minor in the same track. I don't know if the effect could know when to use what. Or perhaps it would still sound harmonious, I'm still learning music theory.

Dan M.

Post by Dan M. » Sat May 11, 2019 5:39 am

pottering wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:21 am
In addition, to enter Key Map Mode use Ctrl+K (Cmd+K on Mac) or the "Key" button on the top-right of Live.
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... te-control
Great! Thank you very much! It worked. I wouldn't have thought to look in "MIDI and Key Remote Control", because of the word Remote. That's what I love about Ableton, that once you know how to do something, it's very easy, but if you don't know, it looks like a Spaceship control.