Scale the MIDI velocities in a clip by using Launchpad Pro pressure?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sdownie

Scale the MIDI velocities in a clip by using Launchpad Pro pressure?

Post by sdownie » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 pm

I want to scale the Note On MIDI velocities of all the events inside an Ableton Live clip by using the pressure applied to a Launchpad Pro pad.

In other words, I want to groups of MIDI events to respond to velocity in the same way that a single MIDI event (Note On) is generated by hitting a key on a velocity-sensitive keyboard.

At the moment, I have all of the Note Ons in 100 clips set to a value of 64. Each of my clips contains from 2 to 10 MIDI Note On events. It would be cool if I could scale these clip groupings from 1 to 127 based on the pressures I apply to the various Launchpad Pro pads.

I could play some clips really soft while playing others loud … just like I can on a piano (except a typical piano key plays only one note at a time).

I've been trying to figure out how to set up Ableton to do this without Max, but I've had no success. Is this a configuration that will call for Max for Live?

Thanks!

siliconarc

Re: Scale the MIDI velocities in a clip by using Launchpad Pro pressure?

Post by siliconarc » Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

i'm guessing here as i don't have a launchpad pro but if the pads can output pressure data as a CC, you could add a Velocity device on your midi clip track and, in midi map mode, select its Out Hi knob and press down on a pad to map that CC.

sdownie

Post by sdownie » Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

sdownie

Post by sdownie » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

It turns out that the Launchpad Pro's 32 round buttons send only CC messages. The 64 square pads send only Note On/Note Off info (except when using the LP's Fader mode).

So I need to convert the Note On info (coming into Live from the LP) to a value that will scale the Note On values contained in the clips.

I don't want to pass the Note On values that come in from the LP to the Note On output coming from the clips. That is, I don't want to combine the Note Ons (coming from the LP) that are used as control values with the Note Ons that are contained in the clips.

Right now, I'm playing with Vayner's M4L Honey-Mapper and the built-in Velocity MIDI effect to see what happens, but so far I'm not having any luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!