How to clean the rubbery coating on the sides of Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.
petrhosek

How to clean the rubbery coating on the sides of Push 2?

Post by petrhosek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 pm

The rubbery coating on the sides of my Push 2 has become sticky over time. I tried cleaning with damp cloth but it hasn't helped at all. I considered using isopropyl alcohol but I'm concerned that it might damage the coating. Does anyone have any tips for these surfaces?

starving student

Re: How to clean the rubbery coating on the sides of Push 2?

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 am

did you find a good solution for this?

Lovelights

Post by Lovelights » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Here is one clever trick, wait til he gets to the rubber pads

https://youtu.be/zHgV2g691o8

Best regards

http://www.lovelight.biz/

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Swiffer!

:lol:

Genius!!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun May 19, 2019 9:18 am

i recently noticed that my Push 2 is having the same issue where the TPE coating is degrading and getting sticky.

Ableton support said that they think it is to do with heat or sunlight, but my unit has definitely never been in the sun, nor close to a heater...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 pm

I have a Numark CDX which has the same issue. I cleaned it one day and noted it was very sticky and thought I must have spilled something on it. A small amount of detergent and a cloth and it was a little better. Granted my CDX is 10 years old and it's still fine to use but it has never been out of the studio and never in sunlight. I have noted my push has some ever slight stickiness and it is on a carpeted desk and 90% of the time lives under its own blanket.

It's a poor choice in plastic as it seems it's oil in the plastic that starts to liquify a bit after a while

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 pm

All these devices with that modern ruberised coating go this way (sticky and eroding) after a few years. It's not s durable coating and unfortunately there's no way to "repair" this coating. I think it's a bad choice personally but I guess it's sexy on the showroom floor. I predict in 5 years nobody will manufacture with this finish anymore

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 am

Angstrom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 pm
All these devices with that modern ruberised coating go this way (sticky and eroding) after a few years. It's not s durable coating and unfortunately there's no way to "repair" this coating. I think it's a bad choice personally but I guess it's sexy on the showroom floor. I predict in 5 years nobody will manufacture with this finish anymore
Absolutely right.
Nothing more to add.
I have to use my gear in tropical climate quite often.
It takes less than 2 years for that rubber coated surfaces to become irreversible sticky.
My Push 2 could be scratched clean only with my thumbnail.
That is something on my to-do list.... :)

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 am
Angstrom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 pm
Absolutely right.
I seriously doubt that. This coating has been used at least from the mid 90s as far as I know. I have a very nice office chair which has degraded the same way and it was made around 2011. My Push 2 is turning sticky as well which is a disappointment. If it gets really bad, I'll mask it off and spray it with Plasti-Dip. Used PD on some of my MSQ700's buttons and it takes a beating providing you give it enough coats and let it cure.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm

No wonder development is stagnant. The thing is disintegrating. :evil:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

HouseholdSatellite

Post by HouseholdSatellite » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:56 am

I used to own a painting pad(wacom)which has the same issue!
the rubber coating was degrading and aging and got very sticky
since my polymer major knowledge told me there is no way to save that mess, I made a decision very soon:
I moisted the coating with pure alcohol and removed all that sticky things hardcorely with a credit card!
eventually the bare plastic showed up and no more sticky, and the shell got a smooth shinny look, little bit ugly actually but no more disgusting~
therefore when I got my push2, the familiar touch from its shell was warning me that years later, i would do the same heartbreaking thing to it as before....
or
if that day comes, I will probably ask my handcraftsman friend to help me made a wood back shell with rosewood, its structure is pretty basic and it will looks very cool~

Muzakmaker

Post by Muzakmaker » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:26 pm

Mine never was exposed to sunlight. It never went out of the same room for 4 years . Bought in 2016 because Push1 had this known rubbery sticky problem on the top (see youtube) and thus assumed Push 2 would be better nbecause som videos said the top material was changed. Unpacking the bottom felt a bit rubbery but still tought, "well Push1 had this so it should be fine" SO WRONG. In 2018 it was still fine. In 2019 placed in an open 19U rack inside the room/ studio. In this part of the world ,it's hotter than in North europe but we use airconditioners, . ofcouse some days it can be hot, but nothing really abnormal. Just recenty took it out, the top is fine but the bottom and sides feels like glue, with my fingerprints left. Warranty just expired , hardly used new and now a mess. It's kind of unthinkable why Ableton kept using the same materials for the bottom part. It weird there are not so many claims for such a major mistake in material selection. Is it really possible to clean ? Youtube video used "spiritus" but the result isnt 'encouraging and other solutions like alcohol (rubbung to iso) seems not easy to do or not give very good as well. Did Ableton change the material on newer production batches ?

Roodegar

Post by Roodegar » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Same issue here. Got mine in early 2016 so at this point it's 5 years old. Always been in rather dark-ish studio, never exposed to sunlight or near a heat source. Started getting sticky probably a year or so ago. It's not too bad yet but noticeable. So I assume heat or sunlight just accelerates the degradation and also oils from fingerprints because at the bottom it's worse where I use to grab it when (seldomly) picking it up.

So to me it looks like it's just a matter of time. Eventually it'll happen anyway, seemingly starting after 3-4 years or so.
Agreed, poor design choice.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:42 pm

it took i while but i successfully removed all the rubberised coating with alcohol wipes. lots of alcohol wipes...