At My Wits End

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AlzoXP

At My Wits End

Post by AlzoXP » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:24 pm

I really need help from you guys
I have iMac running the latest version of MacOS
I bought last week Ableton Push 2 and Ableton Live Standard - all updated to the latest and was working fine (finding my feet with it)
Upgraded from irig Keys I/O to the Komplete S49 Mk2 and Komplete Ultimate - everything updated to latest including firmware.

I have also followed the following tutorial to configure my controller - https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... /209557689

Where I am getting massive frustration is the auto arming of tracks - I do not want it.

If I only have my Push 2 turned on with Ableton Live the tracks don't auto arm
When i have the Push 2 and the Komplete Kontrol 49 Turned on the tracks Auto Arm and I cannot stop it.
Only connecting Komplete Kontrol 49 still Auto Arms the tracks

I have deployed the Options.TXT file with the NoAutoArming command it does nothing when the keyboard is connected

I have tried every combination of midi control settings, turning ones off turning others on (some of them disable the keyboard entirely). I have also turn on and off Exclusive for Arm and Solo still no joy

I am at my wits end I cannot figure out how to stop it from doing that and I really want to be able to use both the Push 2 and the Komplete Kontrol without the Auto Arming when im jamming ideas out.

Can anyone help me please? :(

Thanks

Alzo

jestermgee

Re: At My Wits End

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:15 pm

That's a Komplete Kontrol thing, it needs to auto arm the track so it can play it. Push also does this but Ableton designed a "pseudo arm" where it semi-arms the track for playing it with a controller but does not record when in session record mode. Komplete Kontrol will just arm a track.

However, unless you press the session or arrangement record buttons nothing will be recorded and you can still jam along, in fact without the track armed or set to always monitor, you cannot play the track.

What is the reason for not wanting the track armed?

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 pm

You need to use the options.txt and disable autoarm

https://sonicbloom.net/en/10-hidden-fea ... tions-txt/

Also turn off arm in the preferences

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Dallon426 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:17 pm
You need to use the options.txt and disable autoarm

https://sonicbloom.net/en/10-hidden-fea ... tions-txt/

Also turn off arm in the preferences
Have you tried this yourself?

There is no "turn off arm" in prefs, only to disable exclusive arm which then allows multiple tracks to arm without pressing CTRL. The options.txt functions will not work if a controller is sending Live a message to arm the track and I can confirm this with a test that it does not stop the track from arming.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:59 am

I do not have a push 2 so no I have not tried it. I was just giving you an option.
You can make a video and upload it to youtube and see if you get any responses there as well.

Send a link to this thread and maybe someone can help you.

I personally prefer auto arm. It is silly to me that Ableton does not have a hot key that will allow us to globally turn on auto arm on and off.
In cubase this is called monitoring and there are many options such as record on selected track, monitor on selected track etc.
The main frustrating thing with ableton is the lack of options for each individual user. Basically every option should be able to be customized.

jlip

Post by jlip » Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 pm

I have this same issue

According to NI, it is "expected behavior" :x

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ble-en-us-

It's a problem because you cannot stop clips in session view (for me using a launchpad) when a track is armed.

The question is, what is the workaround?

And do all midi keyboards cause this issue or is it specific to Komplete Kontrol? Should I think about getting a different midi keyboard?

mike_sound

Post by mike_sound » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Anyone find a workaround for this???? The Options.txt file does not work for this.

so frustrated with this. Using an S series mk2

Thanks

mike

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:39 pm

rather than having us read the entire thread to get what you're on about, can you just post a simple question? you want someone to read a thread to get what you're on about in your shorthand? then spend more of their free time helping you out? 8O
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

AlzoXP

Post by AlzoXP » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:39 pm
rather than having us read the entire thread to get what you're on about, can you just post a simple question? you want someone to read a thread to get what you're on about in your shorthand? then spend more of their free time helping you out? 8O
Wow how so very helpful and insightful of you to make this post where you have contributed nothing to this conversation which is over a year old!!

Other people didn’t seem to have an issue with my post and in my experience you are damned either way if you put too much or not enough.

Whatever gets you through your day though I suppose.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm

I generally like the auto arming feature for basic DAW/Producing applications.

But for live performances, it is a nuisance especially when needing to use multiple controllers as the functions can conflict with other controllers in regards to track selection/arming.

The only real solution I've found is turning off the native control support altogether and set it up as a "dumb controller" where you would manually map each control to what you need in which the mappings will be project specific. That said you can still create your own user script which would give you some smart functionality if desired.

Sanjay C has an excellent tutorial on this that at least show how to map the knobs to the device Racks which I like.

That said I have been doing some rehearsals with Studio One new show feature. It is great for using multiple controllers (although the workflow is totally different compared to Ableton).