Have to tap a pad twice to launch a track with Novation Control XL? Unable to MIDI map multiple loop toggles.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wavescapes

Have to tap a pad twice to launch a track with Novation Control XL? Unable to MIDI map multiple loop toggles.

Post by wavescapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:52 am

Hello. Using a Novation Launch ControlXL with the app/editor on MacBook Pro. Also using another MIDI surface controller in tandem.

(1) The lowest row of pads set to toggle start/stop each audio track in the 6 MIDI columns recently started triggering only after tapping it twice. It used to be once, now it's twice. Same thing for off, two taps. Is this normal? I quantize in 1/32. The only way to get around this is to change the minimum and maximum values both to 127, instead of the default 0-127. I don't recall making this adjustment previously.

(2) I also have been getting a ghost track that starts playing on it's own out of the first column while I'm playing songs in session view. So long as I'm playing a track or two in the other other columns, after about 30 seconds a mystery track in column one will start playing all on its own. If you actually click on the song playing it doesn't show as playing until you actually hit play on/off to make it stop. This has been happening constantly for the past two days now. Only other way to stop it from happening is to be sure to play a song from the first MIDI column before you start doing anything, especially before going into a live mix. Anyone else had this happen?

(3) Is there a way to set the right, left, up, down arrows on a surface controller to function like a selection/scroll tool within session view? Instead of using a mouse or trackpad. Or is there a controller that can do this? Almost like a gaming pad ...

Edit: Here's a screen capture.

(4) Lastly, I often mix live in Ableton using six MIDI track columns. In the Launch XL editor app I'm able to set the second row of pads individually, currently CC 41 to toggle the loop on/off of a selected song. Even though I can set unique CC numbers in the app for each MIDI column, Ableton will not let me MIDI map these individual values to the six track columns, it only allows one value repeated in every MIDI column despite trying to set it differently in the app. (EX: Track Focus Pad 1 = CC 41, 2 = CC 42, 3 = CC 43 ... etc. Where Pad 1 is column 1, pad 2 is column 2 ... etc.) Is this a limitation of Ableton or the Launch XL?

Any input is appreciated ... thanks :)
Last edited by wavescapes on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S4racen

Re: Is it normal to have to tap a pad twice to launch a track with Novation Control XL? Anomaly with track playing on ow

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am

From your second question it would suggest you are using this as a MIDI Controller and not as a control surface?

The LaunchControl XL has a control surface script which can be selected in the top half of the MIDI preferences tab of Live.

With it you will be able to scroll up and down within your live set to trigger clips. There is no RedBox on screen guide however so you would need to keep track of where you are.

You can always upgrade the script to get the Redbox however

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/lau ... t-live-10/

Cheers
D

wavescapes

Re: Have to tap a pad twice to launch a track with Novation Control XL? Unable to MIDI map multiple loop toggles.

Post by wavescapes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm

I'll look into the script. Thanks. I added a screen shot of the editor app for the XL. I've also not been able to set unique CC values to toggle "loop" on/off of multiple MIDI columns even though I can set them in the app. When I go into MIDI map in Ableton, it will only accept one value even though the app shows six different ones. Not a huge deal, but seems odd.

- Cheers

S4racen

Re: Have to tap a pad twice to launch a track with Novation Control XL? Unable to MIDI map multiple loop toggles.

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Live can only ac kept one midi message per parameter, the editor that Novation supply has no sway over that and I would avoid using it in all cases.

You can also only toggle the loop on or off for a clip that's in focus, these are how Live works and again are nothing to do with the MIDI Controller that you use.

Cheers
D