[Total Noob Question] : Mult-track recording in one action

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jrivera

[Total Noob Question] : Mult-track recording in one action

Post by jrivera » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi all,

Just starting my journey in to recording with Ableton and have run in to an issue when recording two tracks at once.

Essentially I have two inputs going in to a Scralett interface, Juno in to one, and modular going in to another. The modular is MIDI controlling my Juno so it essential that these are synced up. When I arm both tracks its all good, but when I hit the record button on the track I have to do them one at a time, this would normally not be an issue, but when I listen to the playback, both tracks are not in sync with each other now because I had to start recording one immediately after the other.

My question: How do you arm all your tracks and then with one action, click, hot key, etc, begin the recording process so all the the tracks start recording at the same time? There has to be a way, and I've googled/youtubed this many times and nothing I can find addresses this.

Apologies in advance if this is extreme n00b material, have a good laugh, but after that please help me, I need to figure this out. Also, if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move to the appropriate area.

Thanks!

gbert

Re: [Total Noob Question] : Mult-track recording in one action

Post by gbert » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:18 pm

This should be easily solvable as it’s a basic core capability of Live. :wink:

Go to Arrangement View, the View where all tracks are horizontal. Select the record arm button for each track to be recorded. The record arm button is the record button positioned to the right of each individual track.

Then select the record button, which is the single record button at the top of the screen. This will begin the recording simultaneously for all armed tracks.

Does this work?

jrivera

Post by jrivera » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks gbert!

I will give this a try when I get home tonight, thanks for the response.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:58 am

Just in the event you find you can only select 1 track at a time, hold CTRL/CMD and you can then select multiple tracks. There is also a preference option to allow exclusive arming (single track) that you can switch off.