STILL NO COMPING?!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
gwp99

Re: STILL NO COMPING?!

Post by gwp99 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:13 pm

While this is a good work-around for "getting the perfect audio take" via editing in the Arrange View, the Bitwig method of "Post Recording Action/Record into next free Slot" in the Session View is more of a "getting the perfect 'live' audio take" via Clip Slots, which may or may not be of the same musical passage... and not a work-around.

Derendered

Post by Derendered » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I just want to post my two cents. This would be a very useful feature but I'll use another DAW to do it. The more they make me, you and others spend on other DAWS the worse off they are. VST3 too plz Ableton cats I know you read this.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
SvenH wrote: Now that it won't happen, is there anyone who could summarize a decent workflow for recording takes and comping in Live? (I searched this forum, but did not really find anything cohesive.)
Meanwhile, who are using this overdub technique for comping audio or MIDI?: "How To Comp Vocals in Ableton Live. Getting that perfect vocal take" (Ill Factor on youtube, about 3 minutes in)
Thanks for the link.

It is even better now in 10, since it added Slide Waveform editing and you can move the Loop Brace directly in the Arrangement itself.
♥♥♥

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:31 pm

pottering wrote: It is even better now in 10, since it added Slide Waveform editing and you can move the Loop Brace directly in the Arrangement itself.
Isn't grouping of groups also a step to improved comping?
Make some music!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:30 pm

pottering wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
SvenH wrote: Now that it won't happen, is there anyone who could summarize a decent workflow for recording takes and comping in Live? (I searched this forum, but did not really find anything cohesive.)
Meanwhile, who are using this overdub technique for comping audio or MIDI?: "How To Comp Vocals in Ableton Live. Getting that perfect vocal take" (Ill Factor on youtube, about 3 minutes in)
Thanks for the link.

It is even better now in 10, since it added Slide Waveform editing and you can move the Loop Brace directly in the Arrangement itself.
I cant say I enjoy their implementation of slip editing. It needs to display the ghostly parts off to either side to make it useful. Like most video editing software does. Otherwise I'm just stepping through an unknown waveform in massive leaps.

I still just doubleclick the arrangment part to open the clip view and do it there. It's larger, I can see what's on either side of the braces and I have more control and feeback.

JulienFunk

Post by JulienFunk » Tue May 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Won't upgrade until there's a comp feature.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

your loss.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 28, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm gonna staple my ballbag to a table until there's comping

diegux

Post by diegux » Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 am

Not upgrading till comping also here.

2019 Ableton. Most wanted feature by far. Makes a lot of difference for a lot of us and no single comment from the company...🤔

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 am

You can 100% do comping in Live. In fact its one of the best implementations of it I've ever used.

Just loop a section in arrangement view. Then do as many takes as you want. When your done open up clip view. All your takes are there in order with loop brackets around each take.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu May 30, 2019 2:53 am

Theo Void wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 am
You can 100% do comping in Live. In fact its one of the best implementations of it I've ever used.

Just loop a section in arrangement view. Then do as many takes as you want. When your done open up clip view. All your takes are there in order with loop brackets around each take.
I actually like the comping in Reason better. They also have decent pitch editing. But Ableton is better for most other stuff.

Ableton kind of forces you to use loop recording as recording over you existing clip overwrites it instead of putting it in a new take.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:53 am
Theo Void wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 am

I actually like the comping in Reason better. They also have decent pitch editing. But Ableton is better for most other stuff.

Ableton kind of forces you to use loop recording as recording over you existing clip overwrites it instead of putting it in a new take.
It re-writes it in Arrangement view but all your tales are still there when you go down to clip view. You can take pieces from different takes and cut and paste the best parts to build a new track. I think its pretty great in Live.

studiojohnny

Post by studiojohnny » Thu May 30, 2019 6:00 pm

FFS Ableton.

Add vocal comping and stop with all these other stupid updates.

Does anyone from the company actually read these forums or is this part of Ableton's plan to troll us into old age?

mountwest

Post by mountwest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 am

Come one Ableton, this is one of your most requested features! :( :( :(

Do you really want your users to shut off Live just to do one of the most frequent production phases in some other DAW?

shayanamiri

Post by shayanamiri » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

This shouldn’t even be a feature request in 2019, it’s standard for a digital audio workstation now. Ableton is such an incredible software! We are all passionate about it and love everything about it. Please add comping lanes/playlists!!!