Drum Rack Panning

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bertman1980

Drum Rack Panning

Post by Bertman1980 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi all - sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I've searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer.

I'm using a drum rack (bells and triangles from the latin percussion pack, to be preceise) and I've come across a problem I can't find the answer to. Whilst I can pan the whole kit from left to right without problem, if I want to pan an individual sample, I get the result where if I pan left I get a sort of 'stereo expander' type effect coming out of both channels, and if I pan right the sound does move to the right, but becomes very faint. I've tried this with all of the panning options that I know of (2 within the sampler itself in the 'sample' and 'global' sections, the chains and in session view, having expanded the drum rack channel). As I said, the global pan works fine. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or is it just impossible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

pottering

Re: Drum Rack Panning

Post by pottering » Thu May 30, 2019 6:55 pm

Panning doesn't mix the Left signal into the Right (or vice versa), so if the sample is loud on the Left but faint in the Right, when you Pan right you only listen to the faint Right signal, the loud Left signal is not mixed into it.
♥♥♥

Bertman1980

Post by Bertman1980 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 am

Yes, but the drum track channel is in the centre. I'm trying to pan the individual instruments.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am

Expand the Drum Rack?

Cheers
D

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm

I was talking about the actual sample. The sample file itself can be panned, even though the Track or Chain are centered.

If the actual WAV or AIFF sample has a faint sound in the right and a loud sound in the left, then when you pan right you will hear only that faint right sound.

In that "Bells & Triangle" preset the triangles' source samples are visibly panned left.

As S4racen said, if you expand the Rack you can see it.
♥♥♥

Bertman1980

Post by Bertman1980 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:20 pm

I see what you mean now - that makes sense. I thought it would be peculiar for Ableton to have a panning option that doesn't work Thanks for the help!