Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
S4racen

Re: Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 am
I'm actually now more suspicious that the issue lies with the old Isotonik BCRXL script in some way.
I think the one I have is from a transitionary period around Live 9.7
Would think it's unlikely to work at all, we had to rewrite everything script wise for Live 10.0.2 and above....

Cheers
D

nrg242

Post by nrg242 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 pm

FWIW, i'm having the same exact issue with a project, although mine won't load in the beta release either. have been having issues loading this project since updating to 10.1, but usually a reboot of the PC would then allow it load upon relaunching Ableton. as of this morning though, have launched and crashed ableton at least 10 times with this project, while trying different combos of disabling other programs or even renaming vsts used in the project.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm

nrg242 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 pm
FWIW, i'm having the same exact issue with a project, although mine won't load in the beta release either. have been having issues loading this project since updating to 10.1, but usually a reboot of the PC would then allow it load upon relaunching Ableton. as of this morning though, have launched and crashed ableton at least 10 times with this project, while trying different combos of disabling other programs or even renaming vsts used in the project.
What if you create a new set, and drag every tracks from the offending set (from Live's Browser) in it?
Ableton Forum Moderator

klangwunder

Post by klangwunder » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm

noticing very often when i close a session then open a new one from the browser window it will crash
anyone else with this issue? ..gonna send in crash report but still...so annoying..

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29 pm

[jur] wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm
What if you create a new set, and drag every tracks from the offending set (from Live's Browser) in it?
Its not actually the song which is the problem, because any song containign M4L will trigger the issue.

TO be clear
Starting Live:
Live starts up perfectly as long as the template is empty. It won't crash with the problematic remotescript.

Loading Songs
If such a remotescript is deactivated Live can now load any song.

If the erroneous remotescript is then activated
Live can load any song which does not contain a M4L device
Live will crash when loading any song which contains a M4L device

Sadly Ableton Support have not been in contact in any way about this situation. I am aware that the solution is "stop using an old remotescript" but that old script has shone a light on a bug and I would have expected a least an email to follow this up. I could have told them about my latest findings, but I guess they aren't that bothered.
(Request #2305391: Live 10.1 crashes EVERY TIME when attempting to load a song)

It's been a week and nothing. Nada. Just that first robot mail, that's it.
That's a bit disapointing. I thought Ableton support were meant to be better than that!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:49 am

Yikes,
my beta version updated automatically and now it also crashes trying to load any song containing a Max device.

Following Ableton supports instructions I installed the latest version of Max and added that as an alternative Max version for Live to use...

I restarted Live and now it's even worse!
There's only half of the remotescripts in the selection list They exist in the folder but the app wont show them! And no songs load.

Also I noticed this weird ghost install of 10.1

what in the hell is " .Live 10 suite_updated " with its rogue 2.5 gig of drive space?

this Live situation is getting worse and worse. Now I don't even have a functioning copy on my machine!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:32 am

Wow, that seriously sucks Steve :cry:
At least you're now in touch with support.
As you said though the solution for now is to deactivate your problematic remote scripts.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:32 am
Wow, that seriously sucks Steve :cry:
At least you're now in touch with support.
As you said though the solution for now is to deactivate your problematic remote scripts.

Well, not quite a solution unfortunately ... because now that Live 10.1 is using the New Max : in an empty set with no remotescripts selected at all, if I drag a Max device (Convolution Pro) into an empty midi track it will crash Live 10.1
I don't currently have a working copy of Live so ...

I'm completely uninstalling every copy of Live, and scrubbing all trace of it from my prefs(\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\ ... ) Then I'm re-downloading 10.1 and re-installing from scratch with no remote scripts, no external max 8 and I'm going to see if a fresh install can load a song!

I think that the initial install of 10.1 became corrupted somehow, hence the rogue 2.5 GB folder. I think my copy of 10.04 was part way through an auto-update when i got bored and overwrote it with the full install. I think this process possibly scrambled L10.1

that's my current theory

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:06 am

Oh shit.

I completely uninstalled Live, removed all the normal trace of it. I took out the 10.1 folders from roaming/

I reinstalled and then did another reset of Live as per ..
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... reset-Live

to ensure a totally clean install. No plugins folder set at all, no remotescripts at all.
The blankest emptiest freshest re-install possible. with nothing custom set.

I dragged a convolution pro into a clean, empty fresh set.

Live 10.1 crashed

Looks like I'm spending some quality time with my hardware and Studio one this month!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am

Did you try loading any other M4L than Convolution? There's a specific crash with this one when using the currently bundled Max which was fixed with Max 8.0.6.
In any case that's quite a shitty situation. Are you sure there wasn't any Win invisible update happened recently on your system?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:29 am
Did you try loading any other M4L than Convolution? There's a specific crash with this one when using the currently bundled Max which was fixed with Max 8.0.6.
In any case that's quite a shitty situation. Are you sure there wasn't any Win invisible update happened recently on your system?
You are correct, it does seem to be Convolution reverb.
And today after restarting my Machine I can load songs again. I guess the Max 8.06 install required a hardware reset because it was crashing last night and today the same sets load fine. Or perhaps the removal of the various Live 9 and 10 installs required the machine to restart. I'm not sure.

TEST: with factory remotescripts, Live 10.1 , Max 8.06 . Loading sets which contain Convolution Pro = Works OK

TEST 2: with Isotonik remotescript : Crash.

TEST 3: using prefs->pulldowns to remove Isotonik remotescript, and all other remotescripts from prefs: Load "crashtest.als" : Crash

TEST 4: restart Live, try to load any song: crash

TEST 5: uninstall Isotonik remotescripts using their uninstaller. Start Live, try to load song : crash

hmmm.

TEST 6: restart computer, with no remotescripts, Live 10.1 , Max 8.06 . Loading sets which contain Convolution Pro = Works OK

... so, all I need to do is restart my computer every time I want to load a song
:?

sigabort

Post by sigabort » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi, if you think there's a problem caused by one of our scripts then please contact support and I'll look into it.

I know that there have been fixes in the latest version of M4L to deal with convolution reverb - is Live set to use the external version and not the bundled version?

Please enable logging and send in a report file for when Live crashes as there may be some useful info in there.

If this only happens with conv reverb then I think that may be the cause - it's been a constant source of instability since it was released...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:52 pm

sigabort wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:22 pm
Hi, if you think there's a problem caused by one of our scripts then please contact support and I'll look into it.
Hi there, yeah I was planning on getting in touch with you but wanted to try and nail down a few specifics first. These seem to be multi-layered issues so I'm trying to gather as much data first to save everyones time - and so I don't want to bother you with an issue which may be entirely specific to my machine, or may be a consequence of Max / Live.

I've been documenting all the aspects which relate to both this issue more broadly and specifically those relating to your script separately for contacting you. I'll wait and see if Ableton Support have anything to add before I send you what I have.
Sadly the Isotonik config editor is not enabling your logging and the config.txt is not being respected by the script. So that's adding another layer of confusion there, and you can see why I wanted to wait until I had a few answers from Ableton before quizzing you on any possible avenues to explore. I've screen recorded some interactions showing all that, but I'll send you those via your support channel
Thanks. - Steve

Myattmode

Post by Myattmode » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 am

Hi all. I've been having exactly the same issue with Live 10.1 and I was going to start a thread about this until I saw this one.

I have done everything I can think of: reset, checked plugins (Reaktor 5 had a funny so I reinstalled it), checked for latest/reinstalled drivers, ran windows checks using the SFC and DISM options in the command prompt, reinstalled my graphics drivers and so on. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall any versions of Live as I'm concerned I may not have enough reactivations left.

I can open new sets no problem - I just can't open almost all my projects (only the really small simple ones open). I use mainstream plugins like NI, Izotope, Synthmaster and so on. I don't use any Max plugins (see edit below).

I opened a ticket with Ableton support on the morning of the 13th June with crash files etc. Very disappointingly I have heard absolutely nothing from them. I've added more crash files to my original ticket as well as tweeting them - nothing. If my livelihood depended on this, I would be seriously p*ssed off!

Edit: Reading through this thread in fine detail I did experiment by installing conv reverb as I've never used it. The crashes seem to happen after this so I deleted the conv reverb suspecting this to be the case but the crashes have continued. How do you know if you've removed all traces of this to he sure it's still not been picked up on?

😡

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Myattmode wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:05 am
Hi all. I've been having exactly the same issue with Live 10.1 and I was going to start a thread about this until I saw this one.

I have done everything I can think of: reset, checked plugins (Reaktor 5 had a funny so I reinstalled it), checked for latest/reinstalled drivers, ran windows checks using the SFC and DISM options in the command prompt, reinstalled my graphics drivers and so on. The only thing I haven't done is reinstall any versions of Live as I'm concerned I may not have enough reactivations left.

I can open new sets no problem - I just can't open almost all my projects (only the really small simple ones open). I use mainstream plugins like NI, Izotope, Synthmaster and so on. I don't use any Max plugins (see edit below).

I opened a ticket with Ableton support on the morning of the 13th June with crash files etc. Very disappointingly I have heard absolutely nothing from them. I've added more crash files to my original ticket as well as tweeting them - nothing. If my livelihood depended on this, I would be seriously p*ssed off!

Edit: Reading through this thread in fine detail I did experiment by installing conv reverb as I've never used it. The crashes seem to happen after this so I deleted the conv reverb suspecting this to be the case but the crashes have continued. How do you know if you've removed all traces of this to he sure it's still not been picked up on?

😡
Any answer from the support since then?
Ableton Forum Moderator