Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
S.T.Ranger

Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Post by S.T.Ranger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

Is it possible to play an existing track while recording a new one?

TLW

Re: Playing a Track While Recording a New One

Post by TLW » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 pm

If you mean "can Live do multi-track recording and let you hear what you have recorded in a project while recording another track in the same project" then yes. That's Live's default behaviour.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

S.T.Ranger

Post by S.T.Ranger » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, TLW. The problem I had was I didn't realize I was recording in midi rather than audio. Learning this program has been a little difficult so far. I was able to record a song with it and my next step is to incorporate drums. I've looked at the drums on the program and was told I can use the keyboard to play them but I haven't had much success with that so going to get a machine with drum pads that I can manually play. Again, thanks for the response.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Ah. OK. Sounds like you’ve solved the problem.

As it happens, I’m useless at trying to record drums using a keyboard as well. Pads can make things easier. I usually have a pair of pads next to each other set to generate snares and another couple doing the same for hi-hats. I find that makes doing faster or fancier stuff easier.

Most of the time I want more electronic sorts of drums though, and those I usually step sequence.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.