MIDI triggering but not being recorded

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fantasieslikemirros

MIDI triggering but not being recorded

Post by fantasieslikemirros » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 pm

I have a basic MIDI drum pad (PylePro Portable Drums), and up until today it was working without a problem. I moved some of my equipment and re-connected everything. Now, when I hit a note, Ableton registers that there is MIDI input, but it won't record notes from it. Some additional characteristics of the problem:

If I have a MIDI track with a drum kit loaded, it will show me when I strike a pad that it's getting input, and will play the drum sample. But when I record, it won't record the notes. The same notes played on my keyboard will record just fine.

The drum pad won't trigger notes in other instruments that I've tried, only the drum kit.

I'm on a Mac, and when I go to the MIDI Studio to test things, my drum doesn't register MIDI input. My keyboard does.

I've played with the few settings there are in the "Link/MIDI" options, and no combination I have tried changes this behavior.

I've spent over an hour trying to sort this out. Is there some little setting I'm missing somewhere?

Edit: Changed the title and also found a similar related post here. I have tried everything in this post including reinstalling Ableton, to no avail.

Edit: I've been playing around more. I downloaded MIDI Monitor and verified that I am getting Note On and Note Off signals from the drums. In Ableton, it's clear that MIDI is being triggered. I can route the audio from the MIDI track to an audio track while playing the drums and record the sounds it makes. Also, when I select 'Fold' on the clip while recording, it shows me only the drum I am striking, but still doesn't register a note. What am I missing? It's driving me nuts!
Last edited by fantasieslikemirros on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pottering

Re: MIDI triggering but not being recorded

Post by pottering » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Did you check all the things mentioned in that other "similar unanswered related" thread you linked?

(Which was not "unanswered", by the way. A thread with 3 different users trying to help the OP is not "unanswered". )

Did you MIDI assign anything? Are you using Remote Scripts?
♥♥♥

fantasieslikemirros

Post by fantasieslikemirros » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:53 am

Which was not "unanswered", by the way. A thread with 3 different users trying to help the OP is not "unanswered".
You know I thought of this after I posted, and you're totally right. I will update the original post. The only thing I hadn't tried from that post is reinstalling Ableton, but I've now done that and the problem is persisting. It just seems like it must be a setting since the MIDI notes are being recognized, just not recorded. Like, it's got to be something just ... right ... there, right?
Did you MIDI assign anything?
Nothing is MIDI assigned.
Are you using Remote Scripts?
Good question. I went through the process of removing remote scripts, and now have a freshly re-installed Ableton so I think this is a 'no' at this point.

Is there some MIDI concept I might be missing here? When I look at the readout from MIDI monitor, it shows me signals that look the same as the ones coming from my keyboard. But is there some kind of hidden additional parameter I don't know of that would trigger a note actually looking like a note to Ableton?

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 am

What you described didn't make much sense to me, the Clips are located between the Input and the instrument, if the MIDI reaches the instruments it should also be recordable.

Only thing I could think that could play a instrument while bypassing the Clips is some kind of MIDI assign or Remote Script.

Besides that I can't think of anything else, sorry.
♥♥♥

tech123

Post by tech123 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:42 pm

Hello,

I have just upgraded to live 10 suite and am having the same issue, new hard drive , fresh windows 10 and ableton 10 install.

I have had no issues with live 9 in this same configuration for months.

My electronic drum kit runs to my MIDI input of my audio interface.

The orange lite, top right, in ableton comes on to show the MIDI signal is being received, and I can hear the samples being played in my head phones when I hit the drums.

The issue is when I try to record a midi clip it doesn't record all of the hits, only a small few. Even though I can see it is receiving the data and hear that it is making the sound.

If I press the pads on my MPK249 it records just fine. The MIDI settings are set the same on my MPK249 and my Interface :?:

ptsan

Post by ptsan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:41 am

Wondering if you got an answer to this. I'm having the same problem. Ableton Live 10 suite. Alesis command drum unit. midi is registering fine with the midi monitor and coming up, but not getting recorded. There's no record quantisation or anything else running.
I did try recording into another daw (mixcraft) and that seemed to pick it up fine there but no solution within ableton....

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:26 pm

10.1.2b8 Bugfixes:
• Fixed a bug where very short notes arriving from external MIDI controllers were not always recorded.

cleanesthippie

Post by cleanesthippie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:23 pm

just curious if this fix or if 10.1.2 will roll out this year.

i was also experiencing this issue. the current work around is to have 2 MIDI tracks
- one as a middleware MIDI "input" track
- the other as the receiving MIDI which has your drum rack or whatever instrument loaded

in the first track, load the utility called "Note Length" and set it between 50 and 100 ms (depending on the tempo of the track if you play 32nd notes)
in the second track, set its input to be the first MIDI track, and then you should be able to record again if you arm both tracks.

Gear:
i am using an Alesis Surge Mesh MIDI Kit (USB) input and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 output (although i don't think the output makes a difference)

SquireTrelawney

Post by SquireTrelawney » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks cleanesthippie - was about to post a similar plea for help to the ones above but your work around has solved my problem in a few easy steps - much appreciated (I was using a DD400+ edrum kit and was only getting a sporadic note or two recorded when everything sounded fine playing along)

cleanesthippie

Post by cleanesthippie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 pm

seems like the 10.1.2 release fixed it (for me at least).

tonymax

Post by tonymax » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:22 pm

old thread but i was having the same problem, this video sorted it for me as none of the other stuff mentioned here was able to do the trick..

guess i shouls also RTFM.... 8O :lol: but im a bloke...

hope this helps

mrekuc

Post by mrekuc » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 am

I am having the same issue with my FCB1010. It was working but revently everything else I use like my keyboard but the FCB Controller shows its triggering and I can set my midi to its presses but when I try and record anything with the midi nothing records.

btt5071

Post by btt5071 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 am

I was pressing the Arrangement Record Button (big black circle) and running into the same issue. Resolved it by pressing the Session Record Button (circle outline, 5 buttons to the right) toggles between playback and overdub recording.