MPE support.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Are you avoiding or ditching Live due to lack of MPE support?

Yes, it's becoming really important.
87%
No, I don't care.
13%

Total votes: 181

Dane John

Re: MPE support.

Post by Dane John » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:25 pm

Plez. 8)

BachelZH

Post by BachelZH » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Totally agree! I will have to move to another DAW if there won't be a sign from Ableton VERY soon. Already downloaded Bitwig, and this works great with MPE. But still would prefer to stay with Ableton. So, please!

Nicko Sparks

Post by Nicko Sparks » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 pm

It's the really crucial feature and it's the main reason (apart from Flex Pitch) why I'm still using Logic

zigiblau

Post by zigiblau » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 pm

I agree. I am trying to start a live looping project using a roli seaboard and I just can't have 100 midi tracks going for a few layers. This work around is lazy, an enormous load on my CPU and also unquantisable! I've started using audio routed from one audio interface to another but this results in messy noise due to feedback loops. Likewise I've tried internal audio routers like Jack pilot and it doesn't work on the newer Mac operating systems.

Seaboards work seamlessly in Logic, why can't Ableton fix this?

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 am

MPE support would be amazing! Hopefully we hear that they are planning it soon. The biggest issue is that editing MPE data is very difficult. Its cumbersome to use multiple clips to play MPE devices but it works. Editing is a huge pain’us in the anus.

Possible temporary solutions:

The ability to group edit up to 16 MIDI clips as well the automation data would hold us over for a bit.

Another option would be to not force everything on a MDI track to MIDI channel 1. Allow multiple channels (16) on one MIDI track without combining and converting everything to channel 1. This would open up some options for Max for Live work arounds.

The 16 clips + automation data seems like the easiest to implement. Though i would prefer a complete MPE solution :/ I tried my free 8track i got with the Seaboard and it’s night and day for MPE editing (Cubase too).
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

nolaskey

Post by nolaskey » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Special summer discount on Bitwig until July, 13 ! :D
https://www.bitwig.com/en/shop/webshop.html

F.Mayoral

Post by F.Mayoral » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am

It would be nice to get an update on what's happening on this space at least.
Things like:
Is Ableton currently working on it?
How far are they into the journey? i.e. just started / halfway there / will be available this year or early next year?
would be nice to know.

The silence and lack of communication are especially annoying considering Ableton is supposed to be THE DAW of choice. Is not like a secret they need to keep from the competition... they already got it :roll:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm

F.Mayoral wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am
It would be nice to get an update on what's happening on this space at least.
Things like:
Is Ableton currently working on it?
How far are they into the journey? i.e. just started / halfway there / will be available this year or early next year?
would be nice to know.

The silence and lack of communication are especially annoying considering Ableton is supposed to be THE DAW of choice. Is not like a secret they need to keep from the competition... they already got it :roll:
Ableton never comments on something they can't yet deliver. They never have. Only when something is ready to go beta, like Live 10.1, they'll talk about it.
But in the last year, they've sponsored MIDI.org and are part of developing the MIDI 2.0 features. They've bought C74, which makes the most flexible MIDI tool platform (outside of Live). They've added Group tracks within Group Tracks, which kinda seems essential to have an MPE Track on anything but the top level. We got the first iteration of multi-clip editing, which also seems essential for MPE.
They fixed an issue with repeating MIDI signals (double values were ignored) and added Sysex support, which also are essential for the zone/voice configuration part of MPE.

Add all of the above together and the minor things missing for MPE support are recording Poly AT and a special MIDI Group Track that automatically unfolds in 16 tracks and incidentally is almost compatible with MIDI song files.
But a key missing part is recording MIDI in arrangement. Without that, MPE recordings would still be a pain in the ass to work with. So 2 minor features plus a big one.
Same with comping. Add all of the above together and all you're missing is a feature that splits the multiple takes that Live already can record. And a fade that works between tracks within a comping arrangement. Again, groups within groups seems like a key feature here.

If you think I'm seeing things here. Just look back at how everything got added to Live over the last 18 years. It seems more likely that MPE is going to look like a group Track or Rack instead of how it looks in bitwig. And if that is the case, we're almost there.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Oops. Pressed the wrong button to edit apparently :oops:
Last edited by hoffman2k on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Last edited by hoffman2k on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:08 am

hoffman2k wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm
It seems more likely that MPE is going to look like a group Track or Rack instead of how it looks in bitwig. And if that is the case, we're almost there.
I hope not, what a mess..
Color me unimpressed if that's how they implement it.
Reaper, Logic, Bitwig style with one MIDI track that accepts channels per note. Anything else is a hack. :|

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:54 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:08 am
hoffman2k wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 pm
It seems more likely that MPE is going to look like a group Track or Rack instead of how it looks in bitwig. And if that is the case, we're almost there.
I hope not, what a mess..
Color me unimpressed if that's how they implement it.
Reaper, Logic, Bitwig style with one MIDI track that accepts channels per note. Anything else is a hack. :|
I suppose it could go one of two ways. Either it'll look like they added MPE to Live 5 or it'll be some fancy device with Push 2 graphics :lol:

I think VCV Rack 1.0 might actually set the tone for MPE soon. It appears the host will handle the voices in different modes, which suggests it'll override the voice mode of the controller.
There are still some fun things to sort out, like how to overdub a recorded note without it being assigned to a different channel. Or how to record the dimensions without affecting the already recorded note. And more importantly, how to combine controllers. If you got a BCR2000 around, check the expansion mode. It adds all the poly stuff when combined with a keyboard. In this case you can do it from one port, but it would be nice to be able to combine stuff. I wouldn't mind using an old launchpad as an XY grid for currently held notes...

The MIDI 2.0 docs also hint at more messages coming to override the voice output of controllers, which is why I'm excited for the VCV Rack 1.0 take on the feature. Which.. ehrm.. is Rack based by definition. :wink:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:00 am

Totally missed the VCV Rack 1.0 release. Its already there. If you right-click the MIDI-CV module, you can select between different voice modes.

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 am

posted this before but i actually asked artist relations about it,

and they told me they are working on it / looking into it, but cant say anything about it yet timing wise.
This might mean that they could decide to stop working on it off course, but i doubt it

thomashalp

Post by thomashalp » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 am

another update and another month without any news

even just a sign that they are working on it would take away some of my frustration, and maybe even save them a couple of customers!
Seems like everyone has already switched or is switching to logic or bitwig