launch control xl - lock to user mode when opening session?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clay

launch control xl - lock to user mode when opening session?

Post by clay » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 am

is there a way to lock novation launch control xl to user mode in ableton. i only use user mode but when i start up an ableton session, launch control wants to switch to factory mode. i have to keep remembering to switch it back.

Pitch Black

Re: launch control xl - lock to user mode when opening session?

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:46 am

Disable it as a Control Surface in MIDI prefs, and only use manual MIDI mapping?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

NateHorn

Post by NateHorn » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:33 am

Doesn't work - Ableton automatically assigns it as a surface as soon as it starts up. A feature I'm sure they think is really useful but in this case is quite annoying.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:27 am

You can stop the LCXL (or any MIDI controller) from being re-acquired as a Control Surface at startup by setting the control surface preferences like this:

Leaving the first two fields set to None and assigning only the Output stops Live re-acquiring that MIDI controller as a Control Surface on startup. Then you can use it as a user-mapped controller. In the pic above my Launch Control XL and APC Key 25 are set this way.

Funny little work-around, but it does the trick.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud