Push 2: Recording multiple MIDI channels

Discuss Push with other users.
wellsoliver

Push 2: Recording multiple MIDI channels

Post by wellsoliver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:52 am

Arrange view: I can only get the Push 2 Live Port to record input from 'all channels' -- when I try to pick ch. 1/2/3/4 so I can swap between playing on my 4 MIDI channels, I get no input. Recording on 'all channels' records everything regardless of what channel I have actively selected.

Is there way to get the MIDI channels in Ableton to record from individual Push MIDI channels?

Phijel

Re: Push 2: Recording multiple MIDI channels

Post by Phijel » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:30 pm

I noticed the same thing and would very much like to know how to address this.

When you look at the small activity indicator in the drop-down menu, push outputs notes using channels in a seemingly random manner

Staying on "all channels" makes it a pita to control multiple voices on my midi synth (digitone) because you need to deactivate / reactivate midi input one each track each time you want to switch to it

There's no way I'm aware of to select an output channel on the device itself (push output, not track output)

Ideas ?

Phijel

Post by Phijel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

Does a question ever get a reply on this forum ? Just wondering...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:43 am

Push is a “control surface” and not just a midi controller so it sends data on different channels and isn’t locked to just a single channel, nor can it be in normal mode. However if you switch push to midi mode I think it can, tho looses all its smarts.

Phijel

Post by Phijel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:10 am

thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah, I'm still a bit confused with the differences between a control surface and a midi controller I guess

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Control surfaces will often have extra communication signals passed between the software and hardware which allow for all the fancy stuff (like coloured buttons, displays, shift function buttons, dynamic feedback etc). This requires the use of a script to control how all that info is handled, hence the need to select it as a "Control Surface" and select the script that gets used.

Often a standard midi device can also be a control surface where the script intercepts the information and controls what happens so when you switch to a track, the data is displayed on the hardware automatically. But you need to keep in mind that control surfaces are designed and programmed to work in a certain way that does not always tie in with how you would expect a midi device to work. This is why it is not possible to lock something like Push to a specific midi channel or to a track even because it is designed to follow what you are doing.

Push also has a basic Midi Mode tho which will then switch off the control surface stuff and now you can make it work like a basic midi keyboard, tho you get no display back.