Emojis please... I mean...comping!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Richard Smithson

Emojis please... I mean...comping!

Post by Richard Smithson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Emojis? Taking the mickey?
It really takes the piss for me and it just devalues Ableton. I upgraded to 10 since the 10.1 update as I felt it was finally worth it. I was hoping we might get closer to comping. But now they've released this ridiculous Emoji feature?! If you're going to add icons please add professional looking icons I/we can use. I use this professionally and I'd love to use icons, but emojis just looks ridiculous.

Anyway, feature request, comping. Not emojis. Did anyone actually request emojis?

Sorry for moaning!

pottering

Re: Emojis please... I mean...comping!

Post by pottering » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm

That is a beta new feature, shouldn't even be discussed outside the beta forums.

That beta update with the emojis is just a minor update to the beta version of a minor update of a minor update, from 10.1.2b1 to 10.1.2b2.

And it is not a zero-sum game, adding a new feature doesn't mean another feature is less likely, or got pushed back.
♥♥♥

gbert

Post by gbert » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 am

Pure supposition here. I suspect that the engineer tasked with implementing the emojis might have rather put their time into thinking through and implementing a highly requested usability feature such as comping. Those manhours spent on emojis could have been better invested IMO.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:33 am

gbert wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 am
Pure supposition here. I suspect that the engineer tasked with implementing the emojis might have rather put their time into thinking through and implementing a highly requested usability feature such as comping. Those manhours spent on emojis could have been better invested IMO.
The engineer that deals with stuff like Unicode and fonts (emoji was added to Unicode in 2010) probably not the same that deals with comping.

Also, emojis are built-in in the OS, not built from zero.

Probably not much work to implement that once you got a decent font rendering system in place. It may be simply a matter of setting the emojis to display with the OS font for emojis (Segoe UI Emoji on Windows, basically a symbols font).

Maybe it was even a update for the Ableton Sans font, not even the software (edit: probably not, they have a pretty small filesize).
♥♥♥

Richard Smithson

Post by Richard Smithson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:43 am

pottering wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm
That is a beta new feature, shouldn't even be discussed outside the beta forums.

That beta update with the emojis is just a minor update to the beta version of a minor update of a minor update, from 10.1.2b1 to 10.1.2b2.

And it is not a zero-sum game, adding a new feature doesn't mean another feature is less likely, or got pushed back.
I'm requesting a feature in the appropriate place whilst having a bit of a moan.
Last edited by Richard Smithson on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Smithson

Post by Richard Smithson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:44 am

gbert wrote:
Totally agree.

Richard Smithson

Post by Richard Smithson » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:54 am

pottering wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:33 am
gbert wrote:
The engineer that deals with stuff like Unicode and fonts (emoji was added to Unicode in 2010) probably not the same that deals with comping.

Also, emojis are built-in in the OS, not built from zero.

Probably not much work to implement that once you got a decent font rendering system in place. It may be simply a matter of setting the emojis to display with the OS font for emojis (Segoe UI Emoji on Windows, basically a symbols font).

Maybe it was even a update for the Ableton Sans font, not even the software (edit: probably not, they have a pretty small filesize).
Maybe! It's speculation really and it doesn't matter what goes on behind closed doors to me as I don't code music software. I make music. That's cool if it interests you!
For me it's what it represents, it shows a lack of seriousness in their software when the amount of people requesting comping is queit high. I'd class emojis / icons as a feature and I'm really not sure anyone or very few people actually requested that.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

If you look on Centercode you'll see that on Tuesdays emojis are the most requested feature by far. In fact almost ✌🏼😩😍🎶🙈👾 people asked for it, this is far more than the number of people who requested 🎃☝🏼🗣🦷🧠.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Richard Smithson

Post by Richard Smithson » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks, but I'm aware of the work arounds. Unfortunately not a great workflow compared to what an actual feature would bring 😔

swoozy

Post by swoozy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:06 pm

don't worry dude I'm sure they're working on it and just wanna make it perfect before it's out 😂🥴

torbenscharling

Post by torbenscharling » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:00 pm

I made a poop smiley picture but it wasnt well received online, think people dont like sarcastic humor these days, they just dont understand it..I too think its just a simple switch to support it since its in the OS already, so I dont think they spent many minutes of valuable coding time to enable that feature...its also dangerous even commenting on such a topic with critique these days as we are all to embrace every poopy smiley face we can get and not question anything the mainstream media or politicians say, you see, the people need the poop smileys, they dont care how much you suffer for your art, they just want funny poopy poop and magic colors and pills. Anyway ya lets get some of those wishes fulfilled please, or make it open source :D