[SOLVED] Using MapButton.maxpat in new device?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
hmblsnd

[SOLVED] Using MapButton.maxpat in new device?

Post by hmblsnd » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 pm

[SOLVED]

I needed to modify the standard MapButton.maxpat by converting the incoming float to a signal with sig~

-----------------------------

Hi!

I'm working on a device and am attempting to use MapButton.maxpat inside a bpatcher, as demonstrated in the EnvelopFollower and a few other devices.

It's patched in, and I am able to clip Map, select another parameter, and the UI updates.

However, the actual modulating of the mapped parameter doesn't seem to be happening.

Is there some additional step I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by hmblsnd on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Using MapButton.maxpat in new device?

Post by [jur] » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 am

Yeah, I don't know why but this one is always tricky to get working in other devices.
Make sure to freeze your device of course, and also try enabling "embed patcher in parent" from your patcher's inspector.
It usually solves the thing at some point.
Ableton Forum Moderator

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:49 am

Also add the file to the project, I find this helps!

Cheers
D

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:07 am

I'm glad we talk about it. I ended up with endless numbers of copy of this patcher in my computer.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

hmblsnd

Post by hmblsnd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 pm

S4racen wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:49 am
Also add the file to the project, I find this helps!

Cheers
D
Hiya-

I've tried the things mentioned here (freeze, ensuring the subpatch is in the same folder, ensuring that the inlet to the bPatcher is correct, etc), and a few other things such as modifying the MapButton patch just to make sure values were coming in at the right range of numbers, but still no luck.

I've also switched over the internal patch to the "MapButtonLFO.maxpat", which I believe is the more current subpatch the Ableton provided max devices use.

- The subpatch is definitely being included correctly, as it is visible in my main patch.
- If I map to a parameter (eg Cutoff), changing the incoming value does NOT set the Filter, however, the filter IS controlled if I drag the "MIN" value for the mapping, so they are definitely mapping correctly.

I'm feeding the bPatcher the value coming out of a live.dial- is it possible that it needs to be some other datatype / number type?

Thanks!

EDIT:

In looking closer it seems like MapButtonLFO is looking for an audio signal and not just a regular float? I could be mistaken.
Similarly, MapButton.maxpat takes the inlet and treats it as signal after hitting a [scale] object?

I think my missing piece to make this work is understanding how I'm can use a simple Float in the Inlet of MapButton.maxpat, or how to modify it to do so.

Any thoughts would be awesome :)

hmblsnd

[SOLVED] Re: Using MapButton.maxpat in new device?

Post by hmblsnd » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:19 pm

SOLVED:

Got it!
I just needed to convert my input to a signal, with sig~.

Thanks for all the input (no pun intended. maybe.)