Resources needed for understanding MIDI better.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thebrokenone

Resources needed for understanding MIDI better.

Post by thebrokenone » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 am

Can someone provide me with some useful, easy to digest tutorial/blogs etc on MIDi and better understanding it. I'll explain my situation, might be it helps narrow down the scope of the topic. I'm preparing my live set and I'm using an APC40 for launching clips/basic mixing (Audio Effect Racks, Send tracks etc.) and a Hardware Synth sequenced by MIDI and I automate parameters on the actual synth itself in real time. Given my setup, can anyone recommend useful resources? One thing that's a bit foggy is understanding the usefulness/potential applications of are MIDI Channels.

Thanks people :)

EDIT: I suppose I should make it clear that im looking for a breadth of knowledge that would help me trouble shoot MIDI issues as they come up. Give me an idea of what to look out for etc.
Last edited by thebrokenone on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miyaru

Re: Resources needed for understanding MIDI better.

Post by miyaru » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am

http://educypedia.karadimov.info/librar ... cation.pdf might be helpfull, here is most explained.........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

thebrokenone

Post by thebrokenone » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:18 pm

miyaru wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 am
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/librar ... cation.pdf might be helpfull, here is most explained.........
Hey man, thanks for this I appreciate it. It might be a bit too technical for me and I've updated my post, refining my question. Im looking for information that's accessible to the layman and will equip me with things to look out for when troubleshooting MIDI problems. I.e Feedback loops etc

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:51 pm

For something a bit less technical and more readable try this: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/midi-essential-guide/

The Wikipedia entry for MIDI is also useful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

And for the deep end there's https://www.midi.org

If you've any questions, don't be afraid to ask. No-one is born knowing this stuff and even the most experienced need help sometimes.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:22 am

TLW wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:51 pm
No-one is born knowing this stuff and even the most experienced need help sometimes.
So true, after all these years, sometimes the midi gremlin comes around and bites my a**.......... :mrgreen:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

thebrokenone wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 am
Can someone provide me with some useful, easy to digest tutorial/blogs etc on MIDi and better understanding it. I'll explain my situation, might be it helps narrow down the scope of the topic. I'm preparing my live set and I'm using an APC40 for launching clips/basic mixing (Audio Effect Racks, Send tracks etc.) and a Hardware Synth sequenced by MIDI and I automate parameters on the actual synth itself in real time. Given my setup, can anyone recommend useful resources? One thing that's a bit foggy is understanding the usefulness/potential applications of are MIDI Channels.

Thanks people :)

EDIT: I suppose I should make it clear that im looking for a breadth of knowledge that would help me trouble shoot MIDI issues as they come up. Give me an idea of what to look out for etc.

The Ableton manual naturally. I think they might still have a dedicated chapter to the APC40. Maybe the default implementation might even work. You might also want to check the M4L forums as I think it might be customizable.

Ableton can be a bit confusing concerning the following (just listing as you should focus on each topic and know the difference):

1. Non native midi controllers (any controller that's not native)
2. Native midi controllers
3. Midi mapping.
4. Remote mapping.