Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Re: Live 10.1 crashes every time when trying to load a song

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:45 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:35 pm
Any answer from the support since then?
for my own Ableton support request we went back and forth and the problem slowly resolved itself after a few things
A complete fresh install didn't work, but using the newest version of Max 8 and then telling Live to use that version ... that eventually seemed to work. It was unusual though, as the crashes slowly abated. As if there was corruption in the database, or paths, which were slowly getting updated.
I have a couple of sets which still can tend to crash on loading them, perhaps 1 in 5 times. But I've spent so long chasing bugs I had to abandon bug hunting at that point and dedicate some time to other things.
Regarding the BCRXL script I've yet to follow up on that and I think it's a separate issue.

joe90

Post by joe90 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:16 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:17 pm
The only time I've had this happen (and not on EVERY song, but some) is when I've been using M4L devices (primarily Envelope Follower device) in my projects.
i could kiss you.. added the follower to a project last night, and have spent the day troubleshooting why it would not open today.. damn envelope follower.

djorno

Post by djorno » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Are there any updates on this front? Is it just buggy M4L devices which people are finding the primary cause of startup / device load crashes? In my own case I was able to work in the set and create devices which, although often time consuming much CPU, still functioned properly. It's only been since after I exited Live and then later started up a new instance that I'm no longer able to open sets or devices. Is it just from trying to load too much all at once?

I don't want my several hours of work to have all been in vain, and I'm not a happy camper right now.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:47 pm

djorno wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 pm
Are there any updates on this front? Is it just buggy M4L devices which people are finding the primary cause of startup / device load crashes? In my own case I was able to work in the set and create devices which, although often time consuming much CPU, still functioned properly. It's only been since after I exited Live and then later started up a new instance that I'm no longer able to open sets or devices. Is it just from trying to load too much all at once?

I don't want my several hours of work to have all been in vain, and I'm not a happy camper right now.
Just gone through the ringer again personally with a set that was using LFO.amxd as part of a Shepard Machine filter device..

Project might load fine one day.. the next day takes 3-4 attempts to open my project without getting "Serious Error" crashes.

Thought I had ridded my sets of M4L entirely, but this device had it collapsed and was tucked out of the way.

Spent much of today opening/closing the same project that was a crashfest for the past few months.. and couldn't get a single crash today with LFO.amxd removed..

If you can get your project opened, do whatever you can to remove any "M4L Essentials Pack" devices (for me Envelope Follower and LFO have been super nasty) and save a copy without M4L devices..

dr_yolo

Post by dr_yolo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:47 pm
djorno wrote:

Just gone through the ringer again personally with a set that was using LFO.amxd as part of a Shepard Machine filter device..

Project might load fine one day.. the next day takes 3-4 attempts to open my project without getting "Serious Error" crashes.

Thought I had ridded my sets of M4L entirely, but this device had it collapsed and was tucked out of the way.

Spent much of today opening/closing the same project that was a crashfest for the past few months.. and couldn't get a single crash today with LFO.amxd removed..

If you can get your project opened, do whatever you can to remove any "M4L Essentials Pack" devices (for me Envelope Follower and LFO have been super nasty) and save a copy without M4L devices..
did you (or anyone else) make any progress with this? been absolutely killing my workflow for months......

temporary solution for me is to use the Old max for live essentials pack rom Live 9 (works 100% fine). But just loading any projects from 3-6 months ago is a total nightmare with sometimes 5 or more crashes before managing to load.
Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (2019)
Processor: Intel i7-8750H
RAM: 16GB

Soundcard: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 pm

dr_yolo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm
cotdagoo wrote:
djorno wrote:

did you (or anyone else) make any progress with this? been absolutely killing my workflow for months......

temporary solution for me is to use the Old max for live essentials pack rom Live 9 (works 100% fine). But just loading any projects from 3-6 months ago is a total nightmare with sometimes 5 or more crashes before managing to load.
Unfortunately no movement on this at all.. Submitted upwards of 50 crash reports related to this.. Mostly generic MaxPlug errors with not a lot of detail to go on in terms of fixing, thus no fix happening.

Sadly I've moved on to multiple 3rd party solutions to regain the same functionality of crashy M4L devices.

Best I can say is to submit crashes as often as you can so they are more aware of the problem and how many users it affects, otherwise there may never be priority to resolve this it seems.

dr_yolo

Post by dr_yolo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 pm
dr_yolo wrote:
cotdagoo wrote:

Unfortunately no movement on this at all.. Submitted upwards of 50 crash reports related to this.. Mostly generic MaxPlug errors with not a lot of detail to go on in terms of fixing, thus no fix happening.

Sadly I've moved on to multiple 3rd party solutions to regain the same functionality of crashy M4L devices.

Best I can say is to submit crashes as often as you can so they are more aware of the problem and how many users it affects, otherwise there may never be priority to resolve this it seems.

HEY there I have actually now solved this problem for myself so thought I would post on here in case in helps anyone...

My issue was relating to a specific bug in the version of Max bundled with Live 10.1.7. My crashes were TOTALLY fixed by downloading the latest version of Max and telling Ableton to use that instead of the "packaged version".

Crazy that this has been shipped honestly and that it won't be fixed until Live 10.1.8. But hope this helps someone here!
Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (2019)
Processor: Intel i7-8750H
RAM: 16GB

Soundcard: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:07 pm

dr_yolo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm
cotdagoo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 pm
dr_yolo wrote:

HEY there I have actually now solved this problem for myself so thought I would post on here in case in helps anyone...

My issue was relating to a specific bug in the version of Max bundled with Live 10.1.7. My crashes were TOTALLY fixed by downloading the latest version of Max and telling Ableton to use that instead of the "packaged version".

Crazy that this has been shipped honestly and that it won't be fixed until Live 10.1.8. But hope this helps someone here!
I have also been having crashes with the bundled LFO device. It is maddening. I have a thread about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=236609

Which devices were giving you problems?

Which bug in Max was fixed?

How do you know it will be fixed in 10.1.8?

I have sent a million crash reports.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm

I just installed the latest Live beta with the bundled Max version 8.1.1.

Good news. I have tried to reproduce the issue, and I cannot.

REALLY hoping this issue is fixed now.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Hate to knock on wood and jinx myself.. but so far with that latest Max from Cycling 74 website... I'm unable to get crashes opening projects that I've literally sent in at least a hundred if not more bug/crash reports.

Will post any more results I get in the next day or so of trying.. *fingers crossed*

edit/update: So far so good.. Spent all weekend trying various crashy projects with 'Max For Live Essentials' devices (LFO and Envelope Follower) and wasn't able to get any crashes opening projects, which I could easily generate 15-20 bug reports a day previously if I tried.

Maybe the hundreds of reports finally revealed something? hard to say.. but hopefully this one has finally been nailed down.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:18 am

Can anyone confirm the crashes are gone with the new L10.1.9 released yesterday?
Ableton Forum Moderator

mitkreis

Post by mitkreis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 pm

No, not really.

I bought Ableton 10 just a week ago, until then I was a satisfied Ableton 9 user which worked fine.
So my first clean install was already 10.1.9 and since day 1 it crashes, no matter which m4l device I load.
I reinstalled everything three times, cleared preferences, deleted all appdata-folders etc., tried older beta versions, tried m4l 8.1.3 as not bundled version.
Everytime the same crashes.

It seems like most people got some workaround without official help but nothing did it for me.

I made a technical support request but got no response for now and for me it seems like this is the normal customer support. (https://help.ableton.com/hc/de/requests/2386655)
Dissatisfied is politely expressed. It seems to be a common thing for some versions now but obviously it doesnt effect enough people to address the issue.

Strangely Outer Spaces is the only device which doesnt crash Live, I dont know why...

250Euro for the Update blown in the wind. I think I go back to Live 9.

mitkreis

Post by mitkreis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am

EDIT:

Ableton Support (thank you Simone!) was able to help me.
I had to start ableton with integrated graphics processor and now it just works fine.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 pm

mitkreis wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:43 am
EDIT:

Ableton Support (thank you Simone!) was able to help me.
I had to start ableton with integrated graphics processor and now it just works fine.
How do you start Ableton with the integrated graphics processor?

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:15 pm

This is now happening to me again. It’s so frustrating.

Is there a log file or something that shows what is causing the crash?

I unpacked the dump files and it says something about not being able to access a memory location.

It’s happening in both the latest beta and standard.

I worked on a project for hours yesterday and now it won’t open.

So far I’ve tried removing my VST folder, disabling MIDI ports, and updating my graphics drivers.

My machine is a brand new Intel 9900k monster.