Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
login

Re: Remote Script for Novation Nocturn and Live

Post by login » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 pm

midiscripts wrote:
olegaroyan wrote: the blue hand doesn't appear when i select racks and other parameters, so i can't use instant mappings and Inst channel on Nocturn to change first 8 parameters.
This sounds like Live API changes. Ableton made a lot of changes in 8 -> 9 migration.
I can try to debug this and may be come up with a fix, but I don't have the controller itself.

If somebody in San Francisco Bay Area can borrow me Nocturn for a week, I may try to help.
If you do - please contact me via private messages in the forum.

Other way - if there is somebody with Python programming experience and controller may want to make a fix - I can try to help (via Skype call or something)
Glad someone is updating this old scripts.

May you consider updating this one? https://github.com/trash80/AbletonTraktorKontrolF1

Thanks!

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:51 pm

login wrote: Glad someone is updating this old scripts.

May you consider updating this one? https://github.com/trash80/AbletonTraktorKontrolF1
Thanks!
It's very hard to make any updates without actual controller.
The script for F1, you mentioned, looks updated to Live 9.1 and should work fine on 9.6 as well.
If you have some specific question about Python code aspects of the script - I may try to help.
But it will be off-topic in this thread about Nocturn.

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 pm

midiscripts wrote:
olegaroyan wrote: the blue hand doesn't appear when i select racks and other parameters, so i can't use instant mappings and Inst channel on Nocturn to change first 8 parameters.
I just checked this out again, as when I first tried I did get 'first 8 parameter' control of the first device I tried. It seems you can take control of a device by clicking the 'remote' button in the midi preferences on and off. If you change track/instrument/device the Nocturn will continue to control the original device.

If you then change track/instrument/device and do the 'remote on/off' in preferences you then get control of the new device.

I'm not suggesting that's a particularly useful workflow, although controlling a single device can undoubtedly still have its pleasures. I was hoping it might give some insight into what's happening and not happening.

Midiscripts, I'm a continent away, so can't help with supplying a Nocturn, but I'd be happy to join in crowdfunding you one from eBay if it came to it...

olegaroyan

Post by olegaroyan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:39 pm

stevewhite99 wrote:
midiscripts wrote:
I just checked this out again, as when I first tried I did get 'first 8 parameter' control of the first device I tried. It seems you can take control of a device by clicking the 'remote' button in the midi preferences on and off. If you change track/instrument/device the Nocturn will continue to control the original device.

If you then change track/instrument/device and do the 'remote on/off' in preferences you then get control of the new device.

I'm not suggesting that's a particularly useful workflow, although controlling a single device can undoubtedly still have its pleasures. I was hoping it might give some insight into what's happening and not happening.

Midiscripts, I'm a continent away, so can't help with supplying a Nocturn, but I'd be happy to join in crowdfunding you one from eBay if it came to it...

stevewhite99, hi .
i don't know why, but even with your method blue hand just never ever appear.. do you have Mac? my system is Win 7 64bit, maybe that's the problem too..

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:31 pm

[/quote]i don't know why, but even with your method blue hand just never ever appear.. do you have Mac? my system is Win 7 64bit, maybe that's the problem too..[/quote]

Hello olegaroyan, sorry for slow reply. Yes I am on a Mac, but I'd be surprised if that made a difference in this case. My blue hand is usually always available as I have other control surfaces enabled. I've just tried with all the others turned off and the blue hand does turn on and off when selecting/deselecting the Nocturn as a control surface in Midi preferences. In fact, the blue hand turns on when I select any control surface from the drop down, whether I have that controller or not. Do you definitely have the Nocturn selected (or anything) as a control surface in the midi preferences?

Frustratingly, I can't now replicate the method I described above for getting the instrument parameter controls to switch device (clicking the remote button in preferences on and off). I did work, definitely not doing it now.

Better news is there is an existing Nocturn User Remote Mapping which does allow parameter control of the selected device. I have this as a 'Channel 5' and it available as a control map alongside Guille's Channel 4 script when I select 'inst'. I was using it as a stop gap in 9.6 while Guille's scripts weren't working - but it seems they work okay in tandem. I can't exactly remember how I got it there, I think it might have been prompted by a post a couple of pages back in this thread. If anyone would like to know more, I'll go back and work it out.

**EDIT here's the link to the User Remote Map (from page 19 of this thread)

http://nckn.de/2009/08/tutorial-automap ... n-nocturn/

Instructions are good. I modified midi channel in the text file to match the 'Channel 5' i'm using in automap preferences. Set the Group to 'instr' in the automap HUD. Also I gave the remote script folder a distinct name in 'User Remote Scripts' so I can tell the difference in the Control Surface midi preferences (e.g. I have 'NocturnRem' and 'NocturnURM').

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a Novation Nocturn controller for myself as a christmas present and investigate an issue.
If somebody found a solution, please let me know so I won't waste time.
Also it would be amazing if someone can clearly describe steps to reproduce an issue, actual result and expected result.
So I can research it before debugging.

Thank you

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:18 pm

I'll share results of my quick research here if someone may find it useful.

CC automap ("blue hand") works on midi channel 1 only.
As far as I see from Nocturn's script source code - for instruments it uses channel 2.
So "blue hand" won't work because of a midi channel.

Solution: change configuration in Automap or may be modify source code.

Looks like Ableton didn't have such a restriction before and introduced it in later versions. That's why it worked before and does not work now.
Or I'm wrong with my theory of a cause.
midiscripts wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a Novation Nocturn controller for myself as a christmas present and investigate an issue.
If somebody found a solution, please let me know so I won't waste time.
Also it would be amazing if someone can clearly describe steps to reproduce an issue, actual result and expected result.
So I can research it before debugging.

Thank you

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Hi Midiscripts

Really appreciate your continuing investigations. I'm detached from my Nocturn until christmas, but will both try what you have suggested and help in any way I can. Please PM me if you need steps describing - though it sounds like you're on top of it now?

cheers

midiscripts

Post by midiscripts » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi Steve,

I found that I can't buy Nocturn easily because it's discontinued long time ago.
I described the root cause of an issue in my opinion: usage of midi port higher than 1.

To confirm it - you may simple check signal in Midi Monitor (https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) when "blue hand" is desired.
If it sends on port 2 or whatever (higher than 1) - I was right.

How to fix it? If Novation Automap software gives ability to specify port for a Instrument button (similar to Akai LPD8 for example) - then it's a matter of simple re-configuration.
Otherwise - hard to say. Requires some playing around with Automap and script itself.

Obviously I don't need steps to reproduce anymore.
If you're interested an a fix, feel free to contact me - we can try to organize some session via skype or something later.
stevewhite99 wrote:Hi Midiscripts

Really appreciate your continuing investigations. I'm detached from my Nocturn until christmas, but will both try what you have suggested and help in any way I can. Please PM me if you need steps describing - though it sounds like you're on top of it now?

cheers

EamonnDub

Post by EamonnDub » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm

For who is struggling with Automap for the Guille script in Ableton 10:

Tried to set the "Inst" section on MIDI Channel 1 but it doesn't work, the scripts are made to work with certain fixed channels, in particular:

Channel 1: Mixer
Channel 2: Inst
Channel 3: Fx
Channel 4: User

Took a while to figure this out but the solution is simple: when you select a new device and the blue hand is set, you have to press Button 1 (parameters bank selector) on Page 2 of the "inst" section to automatically map the Novation to the Instrument.

A little additional step but I am delighted that is working and we can still use this amazing script!

Drowl

Post by Drowl » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:23 am

Anyone still using this controller ?
I've found my old nocturn and wanted to have a go at using it but the script is old now

stevewhite99

Post by stevewhite99 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:56 pm

I've switched to using this fantastic Max4Live device by 11Olsen, which gives lots of control. Just drop it on to a (any) midi track. Works really well - life in the old Nocturn yet :)

It doesn't need Automap at all and no tricky setup.

http://www.11olsen.de/code/category/7-m ... ve-devices