Midi Sequence Player

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Marcin7

Midi Sequence Player

Post by Marcin7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 am

Hi, Do you know any plugin like Cubase Arpache SX with midi sequence player, which will work in Ableton? Unfortunately, I think that Cubase midi plugins can't work in Ableton. I would like to load a midi phrase and play it with one key pressed. I know there was "Insert Piz Here - Midi Looper", but it's not available to download anymore.

miyaru

Re: Midi Sequence Player

Post by miyaru » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am

The Max 4 Live Mono Sequencer?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am

Session View MIDI Clips work like that in Gate mode.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launc ... unch-modes
♥♥♥

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 am

miyaru wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am
I have Ableton Live 10 Standard without M4L, unfortunately.

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 am

pottering wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am
Session View MIDI Clips work like that in Gate mode.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launc ... unch-modes
Thanks, I will try that, but I'm looking for VST with that feature, so I can save different midi sequences as presets and preview them in sync quickly, with ability to transpose them with the keyboard.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Thesys by Sugar Bytes might be the kind of thing you’re looking for. One of the best software sequencers, at least I think so.

https://sugar-bytes.de/thesys
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm

TLW wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Thesys by Sugar Bytes might be the kind of thing you’re looking for. One of the best software sequencers, at least I think so.

https://sugar-bytes.de/thesys
Thanks, it looks very nice, but does it play already programmed midi sequences from files? I have a library of midi melodies, arpeggios, etc. and I'm looking for a simple player, like Cubase Arpache SX, which is perfect for that. It seems that Thesys is a midi sequencer/generator, but I think it's not capable of playing sequences from files, am I right?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Here's a completely max free way to perhaps achieve what you are looking for. It will definitely work, but it might make it difficult to use a midi controller for anything other than firing midi sequences.

Use session view - each sequence is a clip. Add a pitch device to the track
Either use some sort of launchpad to fire the clips or use a controller keyboard and map all of the clips to keys on that keyboard.
Using a different midi channel on the controller keyboard map the whole range of the keyboard to the pitch transpose on the pitch device.
midi channel a selects the sequence, midi channel b controls the transpose

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:08 pm

You can also MIDI assign a range of keys directly to a Clip slot (by holding a key then pressing another key to define a range), then you can play that Clip transposing with the keys, and if you drop another MIDI Clip in the same slot it keeps working.

With the Scene Up and Scene Down buttons you can browse MIDI files loaded in Session View (the buttons appear in the Master Track when in MIDI/Key Assign mode, besides the Stop All Clips Button). Otherwise you may need a controller that has a remote script that allows moving the range it can trigger Clips.
♥♥♥

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Marcin7 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:59 pm
It seems that Thesys is a midi sequencer/generator, but I think it's not capable of playing sequences from files, am I right?
No, Thesys doesn't play already existing MIDI files/clips.

Your best option for that purpose is to use session view as has been suggested.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:51 am

oddstep wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:23 pm
Here's a completely max free way to perhaps achieve what you are looking for. It will definitely work, but it might make it difficult to use a midi controller for anything other than firing midi sequences.

Use session view - each sequence is a clip. Add a pitch device to the track
Either use some sort of launchpad to fire the clips or use a controller keyboard and map all of the clips to keys on that keyboard.
Using a different midi channel on the controller keyboard map the whole range of the keyboard to the pitch transpose on the pitch device.
midi channel a selects the sequence, midi channel b controls the transpose
Thanks, I will try that.

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 am

pottering wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:08 pm
You can also MIDI assign a range of keys directly to a Clip slot (by holding a key then pressing another key to define a range), then you can play that Clip transposing with the keys, and if you drop another MIDI Clip in the same slot it keeps working.

With the Scene Up and Scene Down buttons you can browse MIDI files loaded in Session View (the buttons appear in the Master Track when in MIDI/Key Assign mode, besides the Stop All Clips Button). Otherwise you may need a controller that has a remote script that allows moving the range it can trigger Clips.
Thanks, I will look at that. However, having a simple plugin like Cubase Arpache SX or like Z3TA+ 2 arpeggiator would be a solution I'm looking for. I'm wondering why there is no vst plugin like that?

Marcin7

Post by Marcin7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:37 am

miyaru wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am
I looked up at that Mono Sequencer, but it seems that it's not able to play saved midi files from hard drive, right?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

I looked at it too, and it won't - you have to program the thing...... sorry! 8O
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm really wondering why you want to pass on the "obvious" option: midi clips/tracks.
I'm maybe misunderstanding you so sorry if it's the case, but It seems to me like you're trying to add a layer on top of a layer that already provides what you need.
You could for example (if you don't want to preview from the Browser) have a midi track in your template set where you'd add every new sequence, re-saving your template when new midi sequences are added. Then, as already mentioned you have several option to preview them with an option to transpose them.
Ableton Forum Moderator