Strange "phantom" MIDI signal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BleepsAndBlips

Strange "phantom" MIDI signal

Post by BleepsAndBlips » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Ive just started to use Live in my setup so hopefully Im just missing something straightforward but heres the setup/problem.

Live 10 Lite (Windows) and Minilogue XD (updated to latest FW etc

If I have Ableton with a MIDI track routed to play the XD the sound is sustaining after the key is released. This carries on constantly as though a MIDI signal is still being received by the XD. MIDI out light is flashing on Live and the XD oscilloscope shows this constant input. This only happens when I use Live, not when I use the XD alone.

This is really annoying as Ive just switched from Reaper in order to use Overbridge on my Digitakt which works fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

https://youtu.be/r28BAITCEWw
Minilogue XD, Digitakt, 10 Live Lite

pottering

Re: Strange "phantom" MIDI signal

Post by pottering » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 pm

In Ableton Live the MIDI CC messages like sustain/hold and pitchbend stay in the value the user programmed it to, it is not like keyboards that have a spring that moves the MIDI CC back without user action.

So you probably just have some sustain/hold MIDI CC set to non-zero in the end of the MIDI Clip (or the point you stopped playback).
♥♥♥

borg

Post by borg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 am

I guess you need to set your keyboard to 'local off' in this scenario. Was that the case?
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

BleepsAndBlips

Post by BleepsAndBlips » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:28 pm

borg wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:02 am
I guess you need to set your keyboard to 'local off' in this scenario. Was that the case?
Unfortunately no. Ive tried everything I can think of. Disabling everything to work backwards to a problem, nope. Unplugging everything non essential, nope
pottering wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 pm
In Ableton Live the MIDI CC messages like sustain/hold and pitchbend stay in the value the user programmed it to, it is not like keyboards that have a spring that moves the MIDI CC back without user action.

So you probably just have some sustain/hold MIDI CC set to non-zero in the end of the MIDI Clip (or the point you stopped playback).
The MIDI Ive been using was generated in EZ Keys so I thought that might be the issue. Tried just drawing on the piano roll MIDI and the same result. Oddly if it sustains and I click the title of the MIDI clip on the track it stops the sustain dead.
Minilogue XD, Digitakt, 10 Live Lite