vst3 Organization

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Flying Soda

vst3 Organization

Post by Flying Soda » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:47 am

I've got a number of vst3 plugins that I'm using with Ableton in the new 10.1 build, but I've got a small problem with organizing them. The vst3's all want to organize themselves by manufacturer, which while an interesting feature, is not very helpful when I want to find a kind of plugin. Is there a way to organize the plugins manually like you could with vst2?

Hidden Detail

Re: vst3 Organization

Post by Hidden Detail » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello!

I have the same problem and i think many others too...

The only way i found to organize them is to put them in an Effect-Rack and rename the Rack to the Plugin Name. Then you can save them in subfolders like EQ, Comp, etc. Next, you can hide the Plugin "Folder" under categories because it's now more or less useless.

But as much i love Ableton Live, working with Plugins in general is a pain in the ass for me.

The hidden "show devices" feature witch should be standard for ANY DAW is still not working and it doesn't look like that this will change...
I've read some good ideas with color coding and so on for this and i can't imagine that this would be so hard to program...

This crappy X/Y Pad that needs just space (and for real, who the fuck is using this? Especially on EVERY plugin? When i want to use an X/Y Pad i could simply take the Max device for that...)

Next thing is the ultra tiny wrench symbol.... i mean please, i get eye-cancer with this tiny buttons (and no, i'm not 60+...) beside from that, that you have to be a pro gamer to hit this button first try when you wanna work fast....

There would be so many easy solutions for this things and with a little extra work they could make it so intuitive and easy to work with.

I just don't get it why this is such a problem :(

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:29 pm

Use the colour label system in Live? Just give names to the various colours (eg red = 'Compressors', blue = "Reverbs"). Much easier than arsing about in Windows Explorer

Hidden Detail

Post by Hidden Detail » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Maybe this is a solution for lot of people and maybe i'm a bit strange as far as that goes, but i try to organize my samples as well .... So most of the colours are already in use:

green= already sorted, violet= i don't know where to put right now, grey = not working or just useless stuff... orange= all my vst's (because i still have all the vst2 versions, there is a mix of vst2 and vst3, depending on if there is a vst3 version at all), red= all my favorite ableton stuff (eq8, glue comp,effect racks....)

The other "problem" i have with the color system is that i'm limited to just 7 colors and i can't create subfolders in there...
I mean, the way i use it now, 7 colors are plenty enough, but when i would use it like you said, then that would be my next problem..

i also try to come to an end with my sample organization, so that i can use this colors for other stuff, but it looks like it will never end :roll:

so i know (or at least, i think) a lot of my problems have to do with my tidying delusional, but that's me and that's how i work :P

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 am

I understand your concern. There could easily be more colours available for labelling. Have you tried the free ADSR Sample Manager for sorting your samples, though? I find it a lot easier to use than Live's browser. It can tag automatically (and you can add manually) and filter, etc. It runs as a plugin and lets you drag and drop samples directly from its own browser onto a Live track. Definitely worth a shot.