Cutting the click from a looped sample

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PLacidBasilisk

Cutting the click from a looped sample

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am

For the life of me I can't figure out how to rid this sample I've got looped of the pesky click at the beginning of each cycle. It repeats fairly frequently so it's blaringly obvious and is ruining an otherwise nice sounding track. Does anybody have any golden rules for ridding yourself of such irksome interferences?

Jarvisimon

Re: Cutting the click from a looped sample

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 01, 2009 10:30 am

Have you checked that the start and end points are at zero crossings?

I know this is basic stuff but it's often the case that it's just not cut right.

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Fri May 01, 2009 10:35 am

Basic stuff that perhaps I haven't taken into account :oops:

Is it just a matter of making sure there's a tiny snippet of silence at the beginning and end of sample?

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 pm

no, you need to make sure that you have set the start and end loop points to cross the waveform at the zero.

Use the zoom in function to take a closer look and to make precise adjustments.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Personally I'd just zoom in real tight and axe the sucker with a volume envelope, do check both the end and the beginning, and you may have to put a bit of a ramp on the envelope to avoid creating another click.
Image Image

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri May 01, 2009 2:38 pm

polyslax wrote:Personally I'd just zoom in real tight and axe the sucker with a volume envelope, do check both the end and the beginning, and you may have to put a bit of a ramp on the envelope to avoid creating another click.
That would work as long as you put a really short fade out envelope on each end, otherwise you could get a noticeable gap, I think it's better to get the start and ends right.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:
polyslax wrote:Personally I'd just zoom in real tight and axe the sucker with a volume envelope, do check both the end and the beginning, and you may have to put a bit of a ramp on the envelope to avoid creating another click.
That would work as long as you put a really short fade out envelope on each end, otherwise you could get a noticeable gap, I think it's better to get the start and ends right.
Yeah, that's what I meant by ramp, so you're not going from 100 to 0 in an instant. Sure, zero cross under ideal circumstances, just offering an alternative depending what you've got to work with.
Image Image

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 pm

FWIW, I've been having a similar problem since I switched over to Live 8. I've seen it mentioned once here before (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114027). I've always been able to remove these types of 'clicks' before this latest version, so I'm thinking there may be something more to it. Anyone else noticing this?

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sat May 02, 2009 4:41 am

OK setting the start and end points at a zero crossing has done away with a large portion of the click but there still seems to be a bit there (though it's highly possible that it's in my head :P). I wasn't able to get it EXACTLY at zero as the sampler only lets you adjust in increments when it gets into extreme close-up mode, is this perhaps why? And is there a way to adjust more precisely, similar to taking fixed grid of in arrangement view?

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Sat May 02, 2009 7:55 am

does sampler have a "snap" function that sets the loop points to zero crossings? i know simpler does.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Sat May 02, 2009 8:05 am

itook4lefts wrote:does sampler have a "snap" function that sets the loop points to zero crossings? i know simpler does.
Yeah, they both have it.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat May 02, 2009 9:16 am

PLacidBasilisk wrote:OK setting the start and end points at a zero crossing has done away with a large portion of the click but there still seems to be a bit there (though it's highly possible that it's in my head :P).
Perhaps it's now time to get your head examined.

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sun May 03, 2009 12:19 am

It's OK, I already know things aren't quite working exactly as they should - nothing life threatening though.

FrogBoy

Post by FrogBoy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am

Not sure why this is so hard... 10 years later after this guys post and I have the same problem. I set the start and end to the 0 crossing of the waveform at the start and end of sample. Still very loud audible click that isn't in the original wave. Anyhow guess I shouldn't post in an old thread :x Only thing I can think is it won't let me move the cut to exact 0 but it's only a tiny bit off. The snap is turned off and I can't zoom in any more than I have.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 am

You could use a very short fade-in and fade-out at the start and end of the sample.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: