Launch scene with no quantization but on first time bars

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JerryAble

Launch scene with no quantization but on first time bars

Post by JerryAble » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello,
My question is quite simple. I have one scene not looped with a long tails and I would like to drop the next scene with no quantization but keeping the sync. And the only way I find is to stop the transport and launch immediately my scene but my tails of the scene before stop too.
I would like if someone got one tips for this kind of case ?
Something like Launch scene with no quantization but on first time bars.
Thanks in advance

Jérémy

pottering

Re: Launch scene with no quantization but on first time bars

Post by pottering » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:50 pm

You can't have 2 Clips playing at the same time in a track, it is always just one Clip at a time, if the long tail is an Audio Clip (not FX) and you want it playing together with another Clip, they must be in separate tracks.

So I think you can put the "long tail" Clip in a separate track with the Stop button removed in the empty slots, then you can trigger the Clips in the other tracks without stopping that one.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/sessi ... op-buttons

The Clip's Quantization defaults to "Global", but you can set the Quantization in each Clip you want with no quantization to "None".

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/launc ... antization

Though I think it is probably better you set it to a short quantization like 1/16 or 1/32, since it seems you want to keep some sync.

Maybe easier to just use the Ctrl(Cmd)+6,7,8,9 shortcuts to change the Global Quantization to smaller values when you need it, then switch back.
Last edited by pottering on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

JerryAble

Post by JerryAble » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:06 pm

Thank you for your answer,

But it's not really my question. My tail is on the previous scene and it stop when I launch another scene so that is perfect. But I want to launch all my scene after with no quantization but when I launch it I want Ableton resync with the first time bar even if I launch it on another time. Do you understand ?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Go to each clip in the scene and remove the launch quantisation in the clip properties

Cheers
D

JerryAble

Post by JerryAble » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Thank you but I think I'm using bad languages because I know how to use quantization but this is not really my problem.
I try to use no quantization for all my scene, it's great for the drop but after if I use quantization (1bar) for my next scene It's not sync with the Ableton transport because I launch the precedent on 12.3.4 for exemple. So I want that when I launch my scene without launch quantization, it restart the transport of Ableton at 1.1.1 or 12.1.1 to keep the sync with Ableton for the next scene will be coming.

Thank you in advance I hope you will understand and sorry for my English

Jérémy

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 pm

1.1.1 or 12.1.1
Those numbers are relative (for Session View usage), it doesn't really matter if it is 1.1.1 or 1001.1.1.

What matters is if the Clips are sync with each other, not if they are in sync with a arbitrary number in the transport.

But anyhow, you can put a Locator on 1.1.1 in Arrangement and trigger it together with the Scene (maybe MIDI assign the Locator and Scene to the same key) .

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/arran ... h-locators
♥♥♥

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 pm

"I try to use no quantization for all my scene, it's great for the drop but after if I use quantization (1bar) for my next scene It's not sync with the Ableton transport because I launch the precedent on 12.3.4 for exemple. So I want that when I launch my scene without launch quantization, it restart the transport of Ableton at 1.1.1 or 12.1.1 to keep the sync with Ableton for the next scene will be coming."

Basically you can't, you can't have a clip / scene launch out of sync and then expect the next one to magically be in sync, Live doesn't work like that....

Highlight the scene you want to play, stop the transport and then press play on the scene....

Cheers
D

JerryAble

Post by JerryAble » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:31 am

Hi,

Thank for your reply, it's what I think about but I really hope there is an other way to do that. Whatever the way you describe is the one I used for the moment but there is always a little silent between stop transport and launch scene. But if this is the only way I will continue like this.
Thank you for all your answers and your help.

Cheers