Stereo/Mono Consensus

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mark Williams

Stereo/Mono Consensus

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am

Am running out of inputs on my Focusrite 18i20 with adat too (I like to have everything connected at once), I have most of my synths running stereo, do you guys record stereo too, or just mono, most effects plugins seem to make it stereo anyways, so am thinking I may gain some inputs by switching to mono.
Or possibly I may switch to a different interface, possibly Behringer XR18/Roland Studio Capture ( which would also reduce amoount of power sockets needed, plus added bonus of onboard fx in those 2 interfaces)
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jestermgee

Re: Stereo/Mono Consensus

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 am

Why not just employ a patch bay so you can easily patch in whatever you need to use without having to have individual inputs for everything?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:17 am

Tried a patchbay a while ago, hated all the cables everywhere. Have switched my Deepmind12 and Peak to mono, and employed the Utilty device to stereo widen them with a slight touch of Chorus seems to work :)
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am
Am running out of inputs on my Focusrite 18i20 with adat too (I like to have everything connected at once), I have most of my synths running stereo, do you guys record stereo too, or just mono, most effects plugins seem to make it stereo anyways, so am thinking I may gain some inputs by switching to mono.
Or possibly I may switch to a different interface, possibly Behringer XR18/Roland Studio Capture ( which would also reduce amoount of power sockets needed, plus added bonus of onboard fx in those 2 interfaces)

Mono can be good for less important sounds and they are often easier to pan and place in mix.

You can over stereo mixes. Usually a mix will have a mix of stereo and mono tracks.

That said there are several options:

1. Mixer (this can be a Pita sometimes but probably the quickest/cheapest solution)

2. Certain interfaces like the Apollo can sense duplicate interfaces (they must be compatible with each other and usually the same brand, similar model) I believe this is only possible with Thuderbolt/Firewire as USB 2.0 has some type of limitation with this (might be possible with 3.0 though)

3. RME, makes interfaces that handles a ridiculous amount of i/o. They are expensive though. I think Motu has a similar line though and a tad bit cheaper. I think most brands high end models offers a large number of io though.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Have managed to free up 6 inputs on my Focusrite 18i20 & behringer ADA 8200, so Im good for a while now, going Mono on my polysynths seemed to have helped a lot..

mjudge55

Post by mjudge55 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:53 am

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:54 am
It depends on whether the sound I’m recording is stereo or mono. Most of the time it’s mono since I don’t want to record the synth’s onboard fix and I could get away with just using a single jack. Nice thing about a mixer or patch bay is you always have the option either way but they can be a hassle.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:37 pm

My guitars and bass are always mono. I apply FX afterwards, if at all. Mostly the synths are done in mono, with only some pads done in stereo. The drums are always stereo as they're generally all in a kit on one track with each individual drum being panned. I'm a great believer in in keeping it simple. If you want to complicate the sound field later on, you can do so and it's much easier to control.

My mixes are way cleaner, and easier now than they were when everything was done in stereo. Just a preference.