Is there a way to play clips without retriggering from beginning in ableton (like in maschine)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doko_kid

Is there a way to play clips without retriggering from beginning in ableton (like in maschine)?

Post by doko_kid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Ableton scene / clip changes. I recently bought a maschine mk3 and one of my favorite features is scene jam with the ability to jump from scene to scene and keep the same location in the playhead. Meaning instead of re-launching each clip the clips start where you switch the scene. This allows for seamless idea flow and variety because the playhead is always in the same spot and all the scenes are linked.

Anyway, I was wondering if Ableton had a feature like this? I find the retriggering of every clip from it's beginning to be pretty limiting when coming up with ideas. I literally have to make every clip like half a bar and even then it doesn't sound very good. Is there a way to have clips start in the middle? Also 'do it in arrangement view' is not the answer I'm looking for, as the performance aspect of this is the whole point.

I've been a Live user for many years and maybe I'm missing something, but this is seriously such an amazing song writing tool in maschine mk3 and if ableton had something similar is would be amazing. Any ideas? Is there something simple I'm not doing?

Thanks,
Doko

siliconarc

Re: Is there a way to play clips without retriggering from beginning in ableton (like in maschine)?

Post by siliconarc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Switch on Legato in clip launch settings

doko_kid

Re: Is there a way to play clips without retriggering from beginning in ableton (like in maschine)?

Post by doko_kid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Ah sweet! Thanks so much! Is there a way to make that the default clip setting? I didn't see it in general preferences, just in the clip preferences.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Nope. It's easy enough to select all clips and press Legato button though :)

doko_kid

Post by doko_kid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Ha true that! Thanks again!

doko_kid

Post by doko_kid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:50 pm

One more thing - could you suggest a plugin that gives me the chord functionality of the maschine chords? They have sets etc which makes coming up with progressions really easy and fun.