Clips - Leading and trailing notes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Philip Guin

Clips - Leading and trailing notes?

Post by Philip Guin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm

In session view, I’d like to arrange melodies and such with notes just before or after the duration of the clip. However, I also would like to play a clip on the same instrument for the next section. What is the best way of handling this, besides just recording everything out to arrangement view then adding said notes?

First time posting (ish), go easy on me.

chapelier fou

Re: Clips - Leading and trailing notes?

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Do you have m4l ? I just made a small patch for leading notes and it’s a game changer for me. PM me if you’re interested
Also do you check this ? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183667&start=165
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:32 pm

For the trailing notes, can't you just have a non-looped clip ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Philip Guin

Post by Philip Guin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

@chapelier fou
For the trailing notes, can't you just have a non-looped clip ?
Ahh, thank you. I also had to "remove the stop button" for the clip slot in following scene, but in the case which the instrument has no clip in the next scene, this is perfect. Is there a solution for when there is a clip in the next scene, though? Maybe dupe the instrument?

For leading notes: I do have M4L, and do you mean this?
I just found a trick that I thought I would share. After like 13 years using Live... Anyway :D

I always found annoying that working with Scenes (typically with global launch quantization) causes abrupt changes on the downbeat. I always missed, for example, the ability to have a drum call (or whatever you call it) just before the first beat of the launched scene.

Here's how you can do that (with the example of a drum track and assuming that you're using a 1 bar global quantization) :

- Arm the Drum Track
- Create a MIDI track, call it "Drum Call" and route the MIDI out to the Drum Track
- In scene 1 of the "Drum Call", put an empty 1 bar clip
- In scene 2 of the "Drum Call", put a 1 bar clip, call it "Drum Roll", draw your drum roll at the end of the clip.
- Put the "Drum Roll" clip in LEGATO, set the launch to Trigger and Quantize to a small value (or NONE), and adjust the Follow Action to stop the clip after 1 bar.

Here it is : when you launch scene 2 after scene 1, it's always preceded by your drum call. The only downside is if you trigger the next scene in the middle of the "drum call", it will play the whole bar, so you'll hear the beginning of the roll.

It's maybe obvious but I never figured it out until then.
Urk, there are some settings there I'm unfamiliar with. Not sure how global quantization ties in or how Follow Actions work. Are you basically circumventing one clip's settings about routing another instrument in with a different clip?

EDIT: nvm, I figured out the follow action, read the tutorial but didn't retain since I never tried it. Blargh.