Syncing Live setup (plugs, fx, audio fx rack, own patches) between OSX computers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EST123

Syncing Live setup (plugs, fx, audio fx rack, own patches) between OSX computers?

Post by EST123 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 am

Hey,

First time poster here.

I've been browsing the forum but could not really find anything on the topic so here we go.

I'm running Live 10 on two different computers -> iMac for stationary use and MacBook Pro for use on the go. Obviously I'd like to run the exact same setup on both devices, especially regarding my own patches, audio effect racks etc. but also 3rd party plugs.

I have read the following article on cloud storage: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -Practices and the conclusion is that it is a pretty bad idea to sync like this as it can cause various stability problems. Really don't need that as my iMac is a old hag as is, and I don't need it to be even slower...

I'm guessing I'm not the only one running multiple setups containing the same stuff so how have you guys solved it? Is there a method that is relatively easy as well as stable? :idea:

Best
...Drugs cause memory loss and other things I can't remember...

jonljacobi

Re: Syncing Live setup (plugs, fx, audio fx rack, own patches) between OSX computers?

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm

I generally keep my stuff on a NAS box, which is about the same and Live will have issues at times. Generally speaking, I don’t think it deals with network slowness very well. I just noticed that a preset was corrupt for no apparent reason so I may give this up again and go back to syncing by hand, and using local copies.

For the most part, using the NAS, I try not to be hasty, giving Live plenty of time to save, load, etc. before quitting, or shutting down the computer. To be fair, a lot of DAWs have even worse issues with networks.