Handling Plug/Unplug headphones

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zadok Wu

Handling Plug/Unplug headphones

Post by Zadok Wu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 am

Do we have to go to the control panel every time we plug in or unplug our headphones? Is there some kind of switch or shortcut? Or even better, can we make it just detect when the headphones are plugged in? Thanks.

chrk

Re: Handling Plug/Unplug headphones

Post by chrk » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:42 am

Zadok Wu wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 am
Do we have to go to the control panel every time we plug in or unplug our headphones?
Do we?

Oh yes, we do. We want every bit of control of what's playing where.

I'd never again want to be without an audio interface with extensive routing options.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Do we have to go to the control panel every time we plug in or unplug our headphones?
No.... No we don't
Is there some kind of switch or shortcut? Or even better, can we make it just detect when the headphones are plugged in? Thanks.
There are switches on the audio interface to select which audio output from the system to monitor and it detects automatically the headphones by way of sending audio out of them when they are connected. Also, because of the fact the monitor bus of the mixer is sent to the headphone distribution amp it allows 6 sets of headphones to all be connected and switched using either the source selectors for each channel or routed via the presonus central station to headphones or monitors on the fly without any need to enter control panel. You were a little lite on detail so I had to fill in a few blanks but assumed you had the same setup I do here.

You may just have a solo switch enabled somewhere which is easy to overlook so don't stress.

Hope that helps.

kmoonpie

Post by kmoonpie » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:20 am

I was having the same problem. It's not a sound card issue, it's the headphone jack directly on the MacBook, for most software when you plug headphones into the headphone jack the audio will come out of the headphones, and when you remove the headphones the audio comes out of the speakers. Pretty basic. But in Ableton when you plug headphones in the audio continues to come out of the speakers and not the headphones, so you have to manually switch the output every time. Then when you remove the headphones it says 'no audio output selected' and you have to manually go back into the audio settings to select the MacBook speakers. This is obviously not ideal to have to do repeatedly during a session. If I plug headphones into the headphone jack of the computer obviously I'd like to hear the audio from the headphones automatically like every other bit of software in the world. Luckily there is a workaround that I found in another thread...

Re: Headphone / Speaker Bug
Report Quote
Post by sinjinhawke » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I found the solution:

1) open "Audio MIDI Setup" (search in Spotlight)

2) in bottom left click "+" and "Create Aggregate Device"

3) rename the device to "AudioSwitch" or whatever you like

4) select the "External Headphones" and "MacbookBro Speakers" checkboxes on the right (make sure External Headphones is first) (And make sure you have headphones plugged in when you do this otherwise the headphones will not show up in the list.)

5) close "Audio MIDI Setup"

6) open Ableton and select "AudioSwitch" as your audio output device