Crackling and audio issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ashpelt

Crackling and audio issues

Post by Ashpelt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 am

PLEASE HELP. Hi, im a bit of a noob with ableton, but recently i have been having issues. Low end sounds such as 808s and kicks cause major crackling. The weird thing is the crackling only seems to occur when an audio loop is being played at the same time. So if the 808 is being played over midi then there is no issue, but if it is played over audio it crackles. I'm fairly certain its nothing to do with my audio drivers. My buffer size 512. I have Uninstalled and reinstalled ableton and the issue is still happening. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I attached a link with an example of the issue happening (Yes it still crackles even when i export the audio) https://youtu.be/lE733_4cU88

Jay15

Re: Crackling and audio issues

Post by Jay15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 am

I was having a nightmare with audio crackling and i fixed it by deleting my audio drivers and re-installing the latest ones for my machine, then i went to ASIO 4 all which ableton recommends, my ASIO buffer is currently set to max at 2048 and i dont notice any latency issues or crackling so id try increasing buffer size

i had tried installing the latest drivers before and it didnt work so i think it had something to do with deleting everything and starting fresh

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... on-Windows

Ashpelt

Post by Ashpelt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 am

I deleted and reinstalled my audio drivers. No difference :( Also no difference when i change the buffer size.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Are you sure you're not just clipping? Pretty rare for a driver issue to show up in the audio export as well like that.

Ashpelt

Post by Ashpelt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:21 am

What is clipping and how do i solve it? Sorry im an absolute noob aha.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:43 am

Jay15 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 am
then i went to ASIO 4 all which ableton recommends, my ASIO buffer is currently set to max at 2048 and i dont notice any latency issues or crackling so id try increasing buffer size
Not quite. What that page says is:

If you are using a dedicated audio interface, then its ASIO driver is usually available as a separate installation from the manufacturer's website. Once installed, open Live's Preferences --> Audio. Click "Driver Type" to choose the ASIO driver.

If your interface doesn't include a native ASIO driver, or if you're using your built in computer soundcard, then we recommend that you install ASIO4ALL (a free, generic ASIO driver)“

So if an audio interface has an ASIO driver supplied by its manufacturer then Ableton recommend that is the one you use. Usually that will work better than ASIO4ALL which is a kind of driver intended to emulate an ASIO driver as a work-around on PCs which don’t have ASIO drivers for their on-board sound chip but are being used as a DAW.

2084 samples is an enormous buffer size. It probably won’t be susceptible to audio dropouts but makes monitoring ingoing audio through Live impossible and playing software instrument extremely difficult due to the amount of latency it creates. If less than that causes audio problems then there is something going on in the computer that is seriously impacting its performance and not in a good way.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.