iZotope RX7 Voice Denoise

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Flootopia

iZotope RX7 Voice Denoise

Post by Flootopia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey all. I've recently started using this in a product which requires a lot of noise reduction and find the reactive mode is really helping reduce the work load.

However, what I've noticed is it makes the undo feature unusable, as it's constantly adding its threshold adjustments to the undo list.

It makes editing speech particularly laborious as now you can't quickly leap back a few moves or snips as undo now just changes the threshold on RX7.

I can of course just remove the plugin till I've finished editing, but it gets in the way of workflow, and when working against a background, you have to be careful the plugin doesn't swallow something important.

Does anyone know a way of disabling RX7 Voice denoise from sending its undo data to the queue?

RX7 latest update, Ableton 10.1.2

Thanks.

tomorrowstops

Re: iZotope RX7 Voice Denoise

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 am

I would get the noise reduction where you want it and then bounce that track down with it, and bring that file back in to do your edits. Not the most elegant solution, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to commit to the reduction before editing. Plus it would lighten the CPU load while you're editing not having it run live anyways.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:17 pm

I agree. I use Rx7 a lot for dialogue work, and I’ve found it far easier to process and clean the audio first, and then import into Ableton. In fact, I do most of my dialogue processing including dynamics within RX7 and then zap it over to Ableton.

Not sure if that helps you mate?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:17 pm
In fact, I do most of my dialogue processing including dynamics within RX7 and then zap it over to Ableton.
That's the really the way to go with this kind of processing, as it make more sense for it to be destructive. Those plugins are also heavy on the CPU and add tons of latency.
It would probably be unacceptable for users and that's also the way this audio world works, but I think Izotope should simply avoid plugins versions of RX. RX is an editor and it's better that way.
Ableton Forum Moderator

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:54 pm

jur wrote:RX is an editor and it's better that way.
I've used RX since day 1 and i've never used the plugins (whenever they were introduced) so yea i agree with you all.
Maybe OP only has the plugins and not the standalone, though. They're available separately, right?

Flootopia

Post by Flootopia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi all!

That's is exactly what I ended up doing. Was a real time tight crisis job and I was in a mild panic. Handed someone else's projects and awful audio recorded in the strangest stereo* and 36 variations to create.

It was a pain, but in the end I realised I'd just have to bite the bullet.

Cheers all

*I've since discovered it was on a Tascam handheld thing, setup on XY but held freehand, so as the interviewer swayed, you got these weird phase patterns if you then mono-ed it - more in the background noise, although noticeable if you were listening in the voice - yet, just taking a single channel was impossible to get a grip on the levels as they wildly swung from left to right.

PS - I've only just started with RX and genuinely hadn't thought of using it as a standalone. CPU never really an issue with the projects I deal with - as it's mostly just audio stems and a few vocal chains, so I tend to think in the DAW all the time. It's good to get out of that mindset, so ta.