Remapping notes for a drum pad controller on the fly

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonraider

Remapping notes for a drum pad controller on the fly

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:36 pm

So I have a drum pad controller with 4 pads... and it sends out C3, C#3, D3, D#3

What I want is a MIDI effect or Max device that will map C3 to any note I choose (and likewise for the others) so I can use it to control other plugin drum modules.

Anybody know how to do this?

moonraider

Re: Remapping notes for a drum pad controller on the fly

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 pm

S4racen wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm
https://isotonikstudios.com/product/abl ... ction-one/

Cheers
D
Thanks... but £31! Must be something free out there that does this (seems pretty simple)?

moonraider

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm
There's the 'scale' midi effect....
Did think about that but it has limited range to one octave?

moonraider

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:34 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm
moonraider wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm
Did think about that but it has limited range to one octave?
Uhm, no? It grabs one octave and can alter within that octave (C to D) but the transpose can scale up to 36 up or down. From the top of my head mind you, but you should be able to just grab the full range of the octave and leave things 'as is' and then only transpose them. Or the other way around, or both.
Yes but I don't want to be limited to the same notes in every octave. Drum maps are different sounds all along the keyboard and I may want a kick on C1 for example but a snare on C#4.

What I need is something that in that case would map C3 to C1 and D3 to C#4. As my drum pads output on C3,D3 etc.

moonraider

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:43 pm
moonraider wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:34 pm
What I need is something that in that case would map C3 to C1 and D3 to C#4. As my drum pads output on C3,D3 etc.
Scale should be able to do that. C3 to C1 would be a transpose of -24, well within the 36 range. D3 to C#4 would be 14. And iirc the transpose setting is mappable (but I'm not 100% sure about that one, seems odd if it wouldn't be though).
Yeah but I think you can only transpose the the scale? Not individual notes...

moonraider

Post by moonraider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:31 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 pm
moonraider wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm
Yeah but I think you can only transpose the the scale? Not individual notes...
That I don't know from mind. Still.. possible scenario: midi effect rack which grabs specific keys and then sends them through a chain where a scale device transposes them. Would need 12 chains to accommodate a full octave but it should be doable somehow I think...

Sound like quite some hassle though, it's probably a lot easier to build a M4l midi effect. midiparse gets you the note value (and a lot of other info), then all you'd have to do is transpose it based on the value of a live dial. Only problem that I can think of right away is utilizing the right values, but then again it's almost near my bedtime ;)

Know what? Gimme 30min 8)
Ha cool thanks 🙂

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 pm

I would go:

4 pads to 4 chains in 1 MIDI FX rack or drum rack.

Each chain then stick a Pitch MIDI effect on. Pitch MIDI effect value mapped to whatever controller you've got to pick the note.

Easy, no?

EG I use the launchpad a lot, so I'd give myself 8 "pitches" per pad with 1 row/column of the LP per pad to select 8 different drums.

Basically you ask how to "remap" on the fly.
I think that's the wrong approach. You want to make all your "maps" in advance and select between then using some effect on the fly.